1/23/10

Decorating the Elevator (Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew)

So, I was at this therapy workshop a few years ago. Like most things therapy, it started with a good 'ole relaxation exercise. The idea was this - you imagine yourself inside an elevator. As the elevator moves, you allow your self to relax...escape in a way. I immediately started to panic, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're supposed to do in a relaxation exercise but whatever. The source of my panic was the concept of the elevator. What was the elevator supposed to look like? Was I to be sitting in the elevator? Is it a comfortable place? Is there music playing? Do I get to pick the music? Oh dear. The rest of the group was all chill and ready to dive into work. The leader, who luckily I know well, asked how I felt after the exercise. I shook my head I told her that I really didn't get very relaxed as I was to busy decorating my elevator. She just laughed.

I still find myself spending a lot of time decorating elevators. This idea of blogging has been a elevator decoration in process for a few years. Something that I've always wanted to do but spent to much time thinking about doing instead of doing. Today, I do. Today I make this crazy concept of a blog a place to have fun, relax, and keep accountable to the goals I've set for myself. A few days ago, a dear friend of mine suggested that I start a blog to share the Weight Watchers recipes that I have found to be yummy, easy, and worthy of serving to people that don't count points. I have been on the WW for a little over a year now. I've had great success but have lately found myself getting comfortable and straying. I'm 3ish pounds away from my goal weight and I hope that blogging about the food I cook can keep me motivated.

Its not just about the food though. I think I have hilarious friends and cute family that will for sure be mentioned more often than not.

Let's get this party started....

This is something that I made last night for Brandon and a friend of his. I would have pictures, but there really wasn't much left. And my camera is kind of old school. This is something that I tore out of a magazine, I'm pretty sure it was a Cooking Light. It comes together pretty quick and is relatively inexpensive (double score).

Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced turkey smoked sausage (about 6 oz)
1 tsp minced garlic
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (undrained)
8 oz peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbl chopped fresh parsley

Heat a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the oil, give it a swirl. Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp and beans; cover and reduce heat and simmer for about six minutes or until shrimp is done. Sprinkle with parsley. Or don't, I forgot to.

Serving size...about 1 cup
Yields...4 servings
WW points...4

*The first time I made this I served it over brown rice. Very good.

5 comments:

  1. glad you're blogging! hope it's ok if i stalk you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the dice pajamas made it in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Merrill! So glad to find your blog- looking forward to trying your yummy recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. made this the other night and it was so freaking good. and easy too. well, easy enough for chris to make while i was gone. trying the white chili this week... :)

    ReplyDelete