2/8/10

Saints and Babies (Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip)

This photo montage pretty much sums up the weekend. Lots of food, a little sewing, some QT with my man, and a really cute baby. Alex and Jen stopped by the house Sunday on the way back to Starkville. She just melts my heart and is quite the flirt for a six month old. She also has MAD rolling over skills.
In social news, we went to a charming little super bowl party at Mary Neff and Nick's house. Good times, good food, good people. Not a bad football game, either! I contributed two dishes to the evening - a lightened up version of Buffalo Chicken Dip and an Asian Cole Slaw. Now, be warned. The Asian Cole Slaw is not weight watchers. It have calculated the points before, but it just wasn't worth it considering that cole slaw is not exactly the most filling food in the world. Alas, I will share it because it is really good. Let's start with the healthy things first.

Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip
adapted from Gina's WW Recipes

4 oz reduced fat cream cheese (softened)
1 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup hot sauce *
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp white balsamic vinegar *
2 cups shredded cooked chicken

Mix the first four ingredients together until smooth. Add the chicken and toss in the crock pot (yay!). Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours. Serve warm with celery and / or crackers

This recipe requires just a few notes. For some reason when I made this I felt led to add the whole 1/2 cup of hot sauce. Not sure why, seeing as I have the heat tolerance of a penguin. After tasting (and tearing up a little) I had to add some more cream cheese and blue cheese to cut the heat. This, of course, affected the points value. Next time, I will not add the whole 1/2 cup. Also...the original recipe calls for white wine vinegar. I could not find this type so I used white balsamic vinegar. It worked out nicely, I think. I have always struggled with finding WW friendly apps to take to gathering. I thought it was good - hopefully other people did too! One person at the party even said that they liked it better than an original buffalo chicken dip as it did not have all of the oil floating on top. This statement made me feel kind of icky and glad that it was a lightened up dip. Let's head east.

Asian Cole Slaw

1 pkg cole slaw
1 bunch green onions (i usually use about three as i love them)
1 cup diced almonds
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 pkg ramen noodles (either chicken or Asian will do)

Mix slaw, onions, almonds, and ramen noodles. Set aside.
Mix oil, vinegar, sugar, and noodle seasoning until well blended. Pour this mixture over the slaw mixture. Refrigerate for 4 - 5 hours, stirring occasionally. Serves 10

I made this slightly differently than I usually do. I was trying to be sassy and use purple cabbage. Well, it was way more cabbage than dressing so it ended up having slightly less taste than I would have liked. Oh well. Pretty sure no one starved last night!

Loved, loved, loved, loved my sewing lessons. I can tell it is one of those things that is going to be very relaxing. My first project (a pillow case) is in the photo montage. Stop laughing, I did not pick the fabric. Pretty proud of it though, I'm probably going to put it in a shadow box. Kidding. I spent the earlier part of this evening taking things apart so that I could sew them together again. Very proud that I was able to thread the machine again. I did learn an important lesson though - always make sure that your pillow is turned right side out before stuffing. I know this may sound simple but I was in the ZONE. I'm to the point now where I want to know how to sew EVERYTHING. But that's usually my personality...I start something and immediately wanted to know all there is to know about it. Same thing with starting WW - the first week or two I did nothing but print out recipes and obsess about every detail. On the deck for supper tonight - black bean and portobello burgers. Stay tuned!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked sewing! Good job on the pillow case.

    Love the photo collage!

    ReplyDelete