2/9/10

Vegetarians, welcome! (BB and P Burgers)


If it weren't for my intense love for sausage and cheese plates, I would totally be a vegetarian. I have already discussed my feelings towards raw chicken and don't get me started on how overrated a steak is. That is why I always get real excited when I find a meat free meal that is actually good and filling. Enter Black Bean and Portobello Burgers. Hello, love! The boyfriend even liked them. In fact - he had two! It is packed full of yummy vegetables and is great for leftovers. In fact, I had it for lunch today and did not feel hungry again until much later in the afternoon. This is not the prettiest burger you'll encounter, and it can get a little messy when making it, but I think it is completely worth it. Drum roll, please!
BB and P Burgers
adapted from Epicurious
cooking spray
2 medium portobellos, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 tsp paprika
1 (or more) tsp chopped garlic
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 egg whites
1 tbl honey mustard
1 tbl worcestershire sauce
6 tbl dried breadcrumbs
Heat a large skillet, coated with cooking spray, over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pepper begins to soften (about 5 minutes). Add beans, paprika, garlic, and pepper. Cook, mashing the beans with the back of a spoon, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer mixture to a bowl and mix in egg white, honey mustard, worcestershire, and breadcrumbs. This process works much better if you dive in there with your hands and mix. Form mixture into four patties. Respray skillet, heat to medium heat. Cook the burgers until they begin to brown and feel warm. It's tough to say an exact time - mine went about 10 minutes on each side.
Servings 4
WW Points 3
To make the meal, I used 1 point wheat buns (I get the "bunny" brand), a slice of tomato and a little shy of a tablespoon of BBQ sauce. Lettuce would have added a nice crunch but I was out. I did not count the BBQ sauce in my total points value. Why? Because BBQ sauce is 1 point for 2 tablespoons, so i just used less and did not count it. Served with one cup of frozen mixed veggies for a 5 point supper. Score! And a big shout out goes to Brandon for slicing those limes up so pretty.
I think tomorrow should be wear your fleece pants to work day.

1 comment: