2/1/10

Your Foil is in my Meat Loaf (Southwestern Meat Loaf)


If there is one thing I love more than meatloaf, it's a good story about meat loaf. Throughout my time at Delta State, I lived with one of my oldest and dearest friends Emily. Emily is the gal in the smokey picture to your left, her husband Brian is there with her. Emily and I lived in a very tiny rental house our junior year. I'm not talking about not enough closets tiny, I'm talking about no hallway tiny. The front part of the house was one room, made up of a kitchen and a den. The kitchen had negative counter space so cooking was always an adventure. Brian often cooked for us, this particular evening he was cooking his meat loaf. Did I mention it was a very small house? Moving on. It was just about time to eat and the three of us were falling all over each other trying to get the table set. Things got heated, the happy couple appeared to be having a slight disagreement about something. Being the non-confrontational person that I am, I tip toed around trying to do my part while at the same time staying out of the way. I was reaching up top the fridge to retrieve the foil when of course I knocked it off, right in the middle of the piping hot meat loaf. There was a splat, the clicking of dog claws, and two very confused people staring at me. Luckily Emily has known me forever and Brian is just as clumsy as I am. Box of foil removed, laughter ensued, and a good meal was had by all.

Speaking of a good meal...this one is a beauty. Southwestern Meat Loaf. Doesn't that just sound yum? Its from Cooking Light and is very quick to put together. You can probably tell from the picture who is being aware of portion sizes and who is not.

Southwestern Meat Loaf
1 lb ground round
1 cup frozen whole-kernal corn
1/2 cup picante sauce
1/3 cup regular oats
1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
1 tbl chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 large egg white
cooking spray
1/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Spray a loaf pan down with cooking spray and fill it up with the meat loaf. Brush ketchup over the meat loaf. Bake for 50 minutes, let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Serves 4
WW points 4 for two slices.

This can be made in advance and frozen if you fancy. Shape the meat mixture into a loaf, wrap tightly in heavy duty plastic wrap, and freeze. Thaw overnight in the fridge and bake as directed above. Its very filling for four points and extremely tasty.
I'm off to Amory in the morning, armed with left over meat loaf, lightly salted almonds, and nutrigrain bars. Figured I'd pack food to keep myself from falling victim to chicken on a stick at the gas station.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i do not like meat loaf. i don't think those two words belong anywhere near each other. can we still be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I saw you started blogging on Jennifer's blog. Been stalking you...haha! Have you tried used ground turkey for those beef recipes or used half and half? It always decreased the pointage (it that a word? oh well you get the gest). It can really be dry with just all turkey. We are some turkey loving ppl at our house, except with this pregnancy. Ground turkey is nausea-inducing right now. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete