3/2/10

A Birthday and some Chili (Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili)


Happy Birthday to my favorite big sister Jennifer!! I can't help but have a little moment of reminiscing as I think about Jen's birthday - making up dances to Dad's Bangles CD, her and her friend taking me and Leah to the Smashing Pumpkins concert (I'm sure she was real fired up about that one), and her leaving me outside, in the rain, in a flooded yard, armed with a rain hat, in an inflatable boat. Mom was not real fired up about that one. God has blessed me with an amazing family - specifically amazing sisters. They've loved me when I was weird, they've loved me what I was down, they've loved me when I was not being very nice. For that, sisters, I am grateful. Today's about you Jen, have a glorious birthday! Chickey - if you're reading - you have a glorious day, too.


If food news, things are winding down for the crock pot. This hurts my heart a little but I know that everything has it's own place in our lives. Crock pot's place is in the winter. I must start letting go of this little kitchen gem, aside for its occasional use when making BBQ. It should come as no surprise that today's recipe is Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili. Long name, huh? Funny story about this one. I made it, or what I thought was it, last night. However, I knew that it did not taste how I remembered, but I just went with it. It has been a busy few weeks and I'm not as organized as I usually am. Just now, preparing to type out the recipe, I have realized that last night I did not make CPCTC. Turns out I made some other form of crock pot chicken. I believe I combined a few recipes, not really sure where it came from. This is strange, as I value my crock pot dinners and usually do exactly what I know works.

Tonight I am posting the original recipe. It is fantastic. You should enjoy it during this unseasonably cold March.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

from Gina's

1 onion, chopped

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

10 oz frozen corn kernels

2 cans rotel

1 pack of taco seasoning

1 tbl cumin

1 tbl chili powder

24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast

chopped fresh cilantro

Combine onion, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, corn, rotel, taco seasoning, chili powder and cumin in crock pot. Place chicken on top. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours. Top with fresh cilantro

Serves 10

Serving size 10 oz

4 WW points

This is really good topped with reduced fat cheese and fat free sour cream. Also good over brown rice. Remember to adjust points value! Brown rice helped it to be even more filling.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. We had chili last night and it was just missing something...thanks for the post! I will have to try this to make up for that failed attempt last night!

    Will you be posting some photos of your new sewing adventures soon? I am eagerly awaiting their arrival to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I recall, you and Leah had to instruct Jen and Friend on the finer points of dressing appropriately for a Smashing Pumpkins concert......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the left-overs. One of the top LMA dishes EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious.

    Also, I'm a huge meal planner. It SAVES so much time and money in the long run!

    And Happy B-day to Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete