4/22/10

Earth Day (Mayhem Burgers)


Happy Earth Day! While my plans for today do not include planting a tree or purifying water, I did take the time to snip some roses for my kitchen window. Isn't that cute? I love those vases - loved them even more when I still had all 3 of them. Hand washing can be risky, everything doesn't always make it. My biggest hand washing tragedy to date was when the pot portion part of the crock pot slipped out of my hands and shattered on the floor. Thank goodness for Fred's. Posted by Picasa

Also on this earth day - I would like to share a fun sewing picture. Not necessarily because it has anything to do with Earth Day, but just because I think it is cute. I guess it could have something to do with Earth Day, considering that me hand making clothes keeps a factory from making them? And polluting the atmosphere? It's a stretch, but maybe. Just trying to do my part. Any who. Here is a "Sweet Little Dress" made for Sweet Little Baby A.
And taking this just over the top of cuteness is my new polka dotted wrist pin cushion from Etsy. I'm kind of obsessed with it and have considered wearing it as a fashion accessory. Perhaps tonight to Art Alfresco? Yes, I think so.
And now....some recipes. Two, in fact. This is what I made for supper last night and I can stamp both of these recipes non-WW peeps approved. Chef friend Nick named the burgers, I named the fries just to keep the theme going.

Mayhem Burgers
adapted from weightwatchers.com

cooking spray
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
1.2 lb ground lean turkey
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs, plain
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
4 light wheat hamburger buns
2 tbl blue cheese, crumbled

In a small bowl, combine BBQ sauce and hot pepper sauce. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, 1 tbl of BBQ mixture, green onions, celery, bread crumbs, garlic, and salt. Using wet hands (to prevent sticking) form into 4 1/2 inch thick patties. Brush top of burgers with BBQ sauce mixture .
Heat large pan to medium high heat, spray with cooking spray. Add burgers, sauce side down to pan. Add BBQ sauce to top of burgers. Cook until done, flipping halfway through. Serve on a wheat bun with whatever dressings you like (just adjust points if necessary) and 1/2 tbl of blue cheese.

Serving size 1 patty, bun, 1/2 tbl of blue cheese
WW points 5

Sassy Fries
from weightwatchers.com

2 large potatoes, cut into strips
2 medium egg whites
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 425. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients, toss well. Spread fries on a baking sheet (be sure that the fries are not piled up on top of each other). Bake for about 15 minutes. Switch oven to broil, broil until crispy.

Serving size 1/4 of recipe
WW points 2

Chef Nick gave me some pointers on this one - don't crowd the pan and make sure that the egg whites are evenly distributed. When I made these, there were some baking issues. Good flavor, just odd texture. My advice is to just watch them.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon and i have a question.... what do you mean by having the egg whites evenly distributed????

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you mix everything together, just make sure that the potatoes are evenly coated by the egg whites and it's not lumped up in more places than others. Kind of icky, but important.

    ReplyDelete