4/17/10

The Ill and Infirm (Broccoli and Cheese Soup)


I am a horrible patient. Horrible. I really do feel sorry for people that have had to take care of me in their lives - I'm sure it's a bit much. I have an annoying summer cold, including a sore throat, sore ears, body aches, and FEVER. I know as a kid I had fever all the time. However, as an adult, fever knocks me down. I knew the fever had hit when I was sitting in the Wal Mart parking lot waiting to meet my dad. I realized that I had the heat on as high as it would go and I still was shivering.

Speaking of Wal Mart, I decided that despite being ill and infirm - I should stop on by the Wal Mart. Not sure why - there was absolutely NOTHING in that store that I had to have immediately. I had it in my mind that I was going to pick up some ingredients for broccoli and cheese soup, throw it together real quick like, and then take it to the sick bed. No. That did not happen. I am proud to say that milk and Popsicles made it to the freezer - but the rest of the loot is still where I dropped it in the kitchen. Hopefully, the broccoli soup will get made for lunch. It's yummy and WW.


Broccoli and Cheese Soup

adapted from Cooking Light


cooking spray

1 cup chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups fat free, less sodium chicken broth

16 oz broccoli florets

2 1/2 cups 2% milk

1/3 cup all purpose flour

1/4 tsp black pepper

8 oz Velveeta light

6 oz no yolks egg noodles


Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli mixture to a boil over medium - high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.


Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from head, add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.


Place 1/3 soup mixture into blender, process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan. Add egg noodles.


Serving size 1 1/3 cups

WW Points 6


A few words on this - the original recipe does not call for egg noodles. I added them because It makes it more like my mom's old school broccoli and cheese soup recipe (which is the complete opposite of WW). If one did not want to use noodles, just take them out. Serving size stays the same, points value drops down to 4.


Let the pitty party resume. Here is a few things that I would like to be doing, were I not sickly.


1. Go for a walk in this beautiful weather

2. Mulch my rose / hosta garden

3. Wander around down town Greenwood, stopping at Turnrow to get a new book.

4. Hop on Hwy 82 and go to Ackerman to score some sewing supplies

5. From there, head to Starkville to hang out with the rest of my fam

6. End the day in the Alluvian courtyard, sipping a glass of wine.


A lot to pack into one day i know, but since I'm not going to do anything - I can pretend like I would do everything. Alas, my day will be spent flipping back and forth between America's Next Top Model and HGTV while I roll around on the couch. They say that there is no cure for the common cold because the common cold is the cure. Chew on that for a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment