4/26/10

Patterns (Turkey and Jack Chimichangas)

Not talking about the ones you sew (even though I do enjoy a good pattern discussion.) Talking about the cooking patterns that I so comfortably ease into. When searching for recipes, I often find myself wandering into the ones that are fit for a fiesta. This one is just that. Welcome to the cooking rotation Turkey and Jack Chimichangas!
When I think of a chimichanga my mind first goes to the ones that are deep fried and served with white cheese dip from the Mexican restaurant by the Wal Mart in Greenville. Mmmmm. Delicious, yes. WW friendly, absolutely not. When I stumbled upon this gem on the world wide web, bet your bottom dollar I hit "print."

Turkey and Jack Chimichangas
adapted from weightwatchers.com

cooking spray
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
16 oz fat free re-fried beans
1 3/4 cup salsa, plus more for serving
4 oz diced green chili peppers, drained
1 tsp chili powder
3 bunches green onions, chopped *
1 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese *
8 large burrito sized wheat flour tortillas *
1/2 cup fat free sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for 10 minutes.

Spray a skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium high heat. Cook turkey until done. Add re-fried beans, salsa, chili peppers, chili powder, and green onions. Cook until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

Place 1/2 cup of turkey mixture into each tortilla. Fold in sides, roll up, place in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if you feel like it.

Serving size 1 chimichanga
WW points 5

A few notes on this one. The original recipe called for scallions. I've never been too sure what a scallion is. What I do know is that whatever it is, they sure don't have it at the Greenwood Wal Mart. Every recipe that you seen on this blog that has green onions in it more than likely originally called for scallions. Also, I could not find reduced fat Monteray jack cheese. I substituted a cup of weight watchers Mexican cheese. There was one package of large tortillas left at the store today and, SHOCKER, they were not wheat. Oh well, worse things have happened.

Avitar? It's playing right now and kind of hard to follow when blogging about Mexican food. So far, it reminds me of the MGMT video for "Electric Feel." But something tells me that there is much more to it than that. I keep hearing really deep lines like "You can't teach someone to see" and "you can't fill a cup that's already full." Hmmm. Words to ponder on. Will for sure be paying more attention from here on out. It just might hold the secret to life.

Happy Monday!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. ghi,
    scallions are green onions. so you have been doing fabulous with your substitution. how did you like avatar??? im making your onion, pepper, and sausage sando tonight! can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to comment that I am pretty sure scallions and green onions are one and the same. (Did I really just impart some domestic knowledge on the Dizz?!? Shocking!) While I may be able to offer the definition of a scallion, we all know that when it comes to garlic cloves, I am at a total loss....

    ReplyDelete