4/18/10

A Subway Kind of Day (Turkey Meatballs)

Subway has saved me many a day on the WW. It's one of the few fast food restaurants where a point counter actually has options. However, some of the Subway goodies are still off limits for my point range. Example - a meatball sub. I know this could be considered questionable, considering the meatballs come from a large vat. Still good, though.
I recreated the Subway meatball sub last night. Meatballs paired with friends paired with outside dining almost made me forget that I had battled "the fever" the night before. I have gone back and forth with how to post this recipe. Do I post as written on the website? Do I post how I actually made it, which was probably higher points? I have come to that posting a "fake" recipe on a blog that is supposed to be about honesty and accountability would turn me into a total sham. Who wants that? Not me. No, thank you. Today's post will be all about the meatballs.

Turkey Meatballs
adapted from
weightwatchers.com

1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh basil (chopped)
1 egg
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (just take your rings off and dive in with your hands - much easier that way). Form into small balls - a little larger that a table spoon. Place on a foil lined baking sheet, coated with cooking spray.

Bake until browned, about 10 - 15 minutes. Shake the pan every five minutes to promote even cooking.

Serving size 24 meatballs
WW points 1 point per meatball

If one wanted to make meatball subs with these little darlings - use some type of wheat bread, about a tablespoon of tomato sauce, and some part skim mozzarella cheese. Layer it all together, cook in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
More on Subway - I tried the subway breakfast this morning. I have been seeing the commercials and have felt like it is my duty, as a weight watcher, to see what this was all about. Not to shabby. I was a fan. I got the egg white western omelet for four points. It was something different, and felt like a treat. It was also inexpensive, a steal at 2$.
Off to do some Sunday meal plannin'.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear the DL on the subway breakfast sammy!!

    ReplyDelete