5/24/10

It's In the Sauce (Italian Sausage Red Sauce)

I have a long and semi-tortured relationship with pasta sauce. Or is it pasta gravy? I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that it's divine and always satisfying. Well, maybe not ALWAYS divine. Enter the tortured part. I have had more than a few disappointing pasta sauce events. Once was when I first started WW and made a turkey meatball / sauce ditty. It was an absolute disaster and I swear I would never make meatballs again. Luckily, I've made my peace with meatballs and have since had success. Another disaster occurred when Brandon wanted to make homemade sauce. I spent probably 4 hours blanching tomatoes, pealing tomatoes, dicing tomatoes, simmering sauce. After all of that, one would think I would have good results. Of course not. It was awful. Such a disappointment. I'll stick to jarred sauce, thank you. Say what you want to say about jarred sauce - I have no problem with it. Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to spend half a day making my own sauce using fresh tomatoes from my garden and my grandmothers secret recipe. However, I can't grow a tomato to save my life and as far as I know, neither of my grandmothers have a secret sauce recipe.
I decided to give the 'ole sauce another try tonight (with a jarred sauce as it's base, no doubt.) It all started when I got the idea to make a Polenta dish. I don't really know what Polenta is but I know I wanted it. Well, of course, no Polenta could be found at the Greenwood Wal-Mart. Or maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot. Completely possible. Since I already had everything needed to make the sauce portion of the dish, I just decided to wing it. So very glad it worked, this is one of my new favorites!

Italian Sausage Red Sauce (or Pasta Gravy)

1 package (20 ounces) lean Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 handful of fresh basil
2 tbl rosemary
1 jar (about 3 cups) light tomato sauce (i used Ragu no sugar added basil and tomato sauce)

Heat a large pot over medium high heat, spray liberally with olive oil cooking spray. Add sausage, onion, and garlic. Cook until done.

Add basil, rosemary, and sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, simmer for at least an hour.

Serving size 1/2 cup
WW points 3

Serve with whole wheat pasta sauce and a few shaves of parm (adjust points).

3 comments:

  1. love the new layout! also, is that an apron you made??? it is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm...I'm pretty sure you gave me that apron for Christmas one year? I wish I made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally did give you that apron. now i'm embarrased.

    ReplyDelete