5/18/10

A Real Meal (Hamburger Steak & Sauteed Summer Squash)

I love my new cookbook. Really, I do. I love how easy it makes it to plan and put together a hearty, nutritious meal. Last night's supper was a rare occurrence for me - it actually felt like a square meal, with a meat and a vegetable. I don't know what I usually cook, but it's often not a square meal. Both of these recipes are from the Weight Watchers 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook and the entire meal was 7 points. Enjoy! I know I did.

Hamburger Steak with Caramelized Onions

1 lb ground sirloin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
cooking spray
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup beef consomme
1/4 balsamic vinegar

Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Shape into 4 (1/2 inch thick) patties.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties, cook about four minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer patties to a platter and keep warm.
Add onion to pan, spray with cooking spray. Saute over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Return patties to pan. Combine consomme and vinegar; pour over onion and patties. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat cover, and simmer 5 - 6 minutes or until meat is done.

Serving size 1 patty and 6 tbl onion mixture
WW points 4

Sauteed Summer Squash

1 tsp olive oil
2 small zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 tsp Greek seasoning

Combine all ingredients in a medium pan. Cook 4 - 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally

Serving size 1/2 cup
WW points 1

The full meal....hamburger steak + 1/2 cup white rice + veggies = 7 points. Woo!


Just a few words on this one - i could not find beef consomme (shocker) so i used beef broth. It was fine, just a little thin. Also - all i have is raspberry balsamic vinegar. This is random, I know. It's even more random that this is like the 6th recipe that I have had to use raspberry balsamic vinegar instead of plain so I should probably just give in and get some regular. Don't you think?
Happiest of Tuesdays, friends! Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment