5/11/10

Stir It Up (Stir=Friend Shrimp and Vegetables)

In an effort to expand my cooking catalogue, I decided to add a little stir fry to the mix. Things like stir fry have always blown my mind. A few months ago, when traveling back and forth to Amory for work, I was lucky enough to have my ever talented (step) brother cook dinner for me in Oxford. (I have to throw the step in because, well, that's what we are - but that's not what I consider him. I consider him a true brotha. But I digress.) He made a simple vegetable stir fry. I was excited after several weeks on the road and waaaay to many drive throughs McDonalds in a pinch. It was so good. The vegetables were exactly what I needed. I asked him how he did it and he was all like "Ah - it's so simple! Just throw some stuff together!" I need much more direction than that. How lucky I felt when I dusted off my old (from WW round 1) copy of the Simply Delicious Fexpoints Cookbook and found this recipe. I hope you enjoy it! It was even good as lunch the next day.

Stir-Fried Shrimp and Vegetables
from Simply Delicious Flexpoints Cookbook

1 tbl cornstarch
2 tbl reduced sodium soy sauce
1 cup low - sodium chicken broth
2 tbl finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbl Asian (dark) sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbl sesame seeds
5 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 bunch scallions, cut into 2 inch lengths
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and devained
3 cups cooked brown rice

Combine the cornstarch and soy sauce to a smooth paste. Stir in the broth, ginger, and crushed red pepper.

Heat a large nonstick skillet (or wok, if you have one. I don't.) over high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the garlic and sesame seeds. Stir fry until it smells good, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli, bell peppers, and scallions. Stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until just opaque in the center and the veggies are tender crisp (3-4 minutes).

Stir the cornstarch mixture into the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture simmers and thickens, about two minutes. Serve with rice.

Serving size 1 1/3 cup shrimp mixture and 1/3 cup of rice
WW points 4

No comments:

Post a Comment