6/22/10

Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Free (Raspberry Peach Cobbler & Black Bean Lasagna)

Let's start with desert, shall we? Yesterday, Brandon's dad gave him a bag full of peaches. I mean, bag FULL of peaches. He stopped by the farmers market and they were giving out bags of peaches to all of the dads. Cute, huh? Well - Brandon was giddy with the idea of a bag full of peaches and begged and begged me to make a peach cobbler. I quickly reminded him that I was on WW. Then I eyed the peaches and decided to give the WW website a look-see. Glad I did. Move over Joy the Baker, there's a new cobbler in town.

The fact that this is WW blows my mind. The hardest part, however, is only eating the serving size suggested. Maybe I had more than my share, maybe I didn't. I'll never tell.

Raspberry-Peach Cobbler
from WW Online

6 medium peaches, halved, pitted and thinly sliced
3 tbl powdered sugar
1 cup raspberries
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 1/2 tbl sugar, divided
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbs butter, cold
1/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss peaches and powdered sugar together until powdered sugar dissolves. Place peach slices in an 8 inch square baking dish, place raspberries on top.

Combine flour, 3 tbl of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture and work in with a fork (or pastry cutter or whisk) until flour looks like course crumbles. Add sour cream and vanilla, mix with a fork until dough comes together. Place clumps of crumb mixture over fruit, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tbl of sugar.

Bake until top is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.

Serving size 1/2 cup
WW points 3

Now, the main course. Rarely, as a member of the WW clan, do I even think about cooking anything with Paula Deen any way related to it. Dream about it, yes, but don't think about cooking it. This is a recipe that my mom found and sent to me. After a few minor tweeks, it became something that anyone looking to eat a little bit lighter could get behind. Also a great way to get veggies. It might seem like high points for not a lot of food. However, the black beans make it very filling and I served it with a side of steamed broccoli to make myself feel like I got more bang for my buck.

Black Bean Lasagna
adapted from Paula Deen

1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 tsp ground cumin
8 small corn tortillas
1 cup WW Mexican style cheese

Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray. Combine black beans, corn, tomatoes. In another bowl, combine sour cream, ricotta, and cumin.

Place 2 tortillas in the loaf pan. Spread about 1/3 cup of sour cream mixture over tortillas. Top with 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of WW cheese.

Repeat process three times.

Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Serving size 1/5 of dish
WW points 7

Last night was a good night in the kitchen. Rock on.


2 comments:

  1. love the shout out to POTUSA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try both of those recipes. MMMMMM cobbler. And also pretty pumped about the shout out to POTUSA, as well. Not so pumped that "Peaches" will be on repeat in my head for the rest of the day though....

    ReplyDelete