6/5/10

Pass the Peppers, Please (Zat Peppers)

Let's talk about peppers. Such a versatile veggie. Great in a quesadilla, wrap, salad, all that jazz. Also great to stuff full of yumminess. This is actually a recipe that Win and I put our noggins together and came up with. I am proud of it - which is a good thing because there are no less than 14 stuffed peppers in my freezer right now. Yes, 14. It makes a lot - I'm not quite sure how to reduce the recipe. I will post the recipe exactly as I did it but if you take this venture on, keep the following in mind. Don't hesitate to season the ground turkey with Tony's, or maybe something similar. Also - stuffed peppers I've made in the past have had a sauce of sorts in the mixture, this one does not so it was a tad bit on the dry side. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated...hit me on the email!

Now, isn't that a pretty pile of peppers? I think so. Pretty enough to eat.

Zat Peppers
8 bell peppers (any color - bigger the better)
1 box Zatarain's Jambalaya (original)
1 can rotel, drained,
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
16 tbl weight watchers cheese

Slice each pepper in half - top to bottom. Remove seeds and white parts (as best you can, I get bored with this part). Place pepper halves in a large pot of boiling water, boil for 10 minutes. Transfer immediately into a large bowl filled with ice water. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions, omitting the oil. After rice begins to cook, cook turkey in a large pan sprayed with cooking spray. Add some salt and pepper, other seasonings if you like. When turkey is done, add rotel (drained). Once the rice is done, toss that in with the turkey and give it all a good mix up.

Pre-heat oven to 350. Lay peppers out and prepare to stuff. It's a wise idea at this point in the game to put a layer of paper towels under the peppers - and maybe a wiser idea to have the broom ready to sweep up the mess you are about to make. Place a heaping 1/3 cup of the rice/turkey mixture into each pepper. Get it in there good, just go ahead and use your (clean) hands. Top each pepper with 1 tbl of WW cheese. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until mixture is heated through and cheese is melted.

Serving size 1 stuffed pepper
WW points 2

Since this recipe makes enough peppers to feed half of Leflore County, I am freezing a majority of mine. I did some research on the web and feel like it's going to work. Before topping with cheese, i wrapped peppers individually in foil and placed them in a freezer bag. When ready, I'll thaw them out, then top with cheese, then bake. If this doesn't work - I'll be oh so sad.

I was very excited to plug everything in and find that this pepper was only 2 points. One of the thing that helps me to feel satisfied after a meal is getting to have more than a half a bite. Some food tastes amazing but i am left wanting more. This is what causes me to loiter around a pan with a spoon saying "I'm just going to have one more little bite - it's fine" I've probably consumed a million points of only "just one more bites." Yes - satisfaction is key in my book. Since this was only 2 points I had two for supper last night - and felt satisfied. Heck, could've had three.

Happy weekend! I'm heading to the Blues Festival. I wonder how many points are in a chicken-on-a-stick? Hmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. omg. i'm going to go ahead and hire you to come to my house and cook for me this summer. ALL of your recipes look so yummy! my to do list for next week includes "copying recipes from laura merrill's blog"

    ReplyDelete