6/17/10

Today Show Tells It Like It Is

I am a huge fan of the Today Show. One of my favorite things is when they do some serious investigative reporting. Well. Just watched a video where the investigation hit a little close to home. This video on MSN describes a study that found some frozen diet meals (Smart Ones, Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choices) contain more fat and calories than are listed on the packaging. What? Hmmm.

Unfortunately, I am a girl that relies pretty heavily on the frozen meal for lunch. I'll go a bit of time and be great about making fresh lunches...but then life gets busy and I slide back into the old habit. I have a million excuses...they're cheap. I work 30 minutes from home. There is no guessing on the points value.

This video really made me think. It's not just about the inaccurate nutritional information...it's a quality of food issue. I've set out to come up with filling, real, cheap lunch options....things that will keep me away from the box. And yes, there's a Lean Cuisine French Bread Pizza in the freezer right now with my name on it; this will be a work in progress!

What do you eat for lunch?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I am guess I am kind of blog stalker. :-) I am not even sure how I found you. I just wanted to say that I love your blog! Your recipes are great. I did WW many years ago and truly need to return to it! You kind of have me motivated to cook now. I will have to try something soon.
    Thanks for sharing all the recipes.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. I moved to AL after college, but grew up Greenwood! Nothing like the delta! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting!!! Good luck if you dive back in...have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghi,
    i watched this segment on the today show and wondered if you were a fan of the frozen meal. i've never been able to eat those things. i am more of a school lunch kind of gal. BUT since it's SUMMER TIME! i have been enjoying fruit smoothies for lunch. i make them in the morning and drink on them all day. you should try it!

    ReplyDelete