7/22/10

Carb Loading

Now that I'm training for the 5K I feel like it's extremely important to eat the appropriate amount of carbohydrates. I've got to keep my energy level up and don't want to go into the cramps.

Silly me. I'm just looking for an excuse to eat pasta. It's true. I'm a justifyer from time to time.

I found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's website and also borrowed this picture from her. Of course, on the day that I make one of the top 5 five pasta dishes EVER my camera decides to act like a jerk. Any one know what to do when your camera says "memory card locked"? If you do, help a girl out.

So like I said, this pasta is pretty much the bomb. I changed things up from the original recipe and it was still delish. So delish, in fact, that I'm half way convinced that I've made a mistake in the point calculation. But I've looked and relooked and calculated and recalculated and I think it's correct. And if it's not, it was totally worth the extra points.

photo from pioneerwoman.com

Bow-tie "Lasagna"

adapted from Pioneer Woman

1 lb extra lean ground turkey

1 box (about 13 oz) whole wheat pasta (try to find the one with the highest fiber / lowest points

1 jar (about 3 cups) light spaghetti sauce

1/2 tbl olive oil

1 tsp garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp Italian seasoning

1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Brown turkey meat in a medium skillet. While meat is browning, begin boiling pasta in a large pot. Drain pasta, return to large pot.

Add olive oil to pasta, toss. Add spaghetti sauce, seasonings, cheese, sour cream. Combine all ingredients. Smile happily and carb load.

Serving size about 1 cup

WW points about 3

What about those low points, huh? Very cool.

1 comment:

  1. Just made this for dinner with a few changes! Delicious! Thanks for posting....I love your recipes!

    I used the "Lean Turkey" because the white color of cooked Extra-Lean weirds me out. Using the recipe calculator at Fatsecret.com I calculated 5 points per cup with my exact ingredients! Still not too shabby!

    ReplyDelete