7/12/10

It's Making a Comeback (Grilled Flank Steak with Onions)

Flank steak, that is. I've been looking at the recipe on the WW website for a while. Unfortunately, I can't get flank steak any where so that delayed my cooking it. When I was in Jackson Saturday, I stopped by the Fresh Market to drool and see if I could find it. Luckily, I did. I also found instant polenta but more about that later.

I figured that grilled flank steak would be a perfect Sunday night meal. I like to do classic meals on Sundays, like a pot roast or pasta. Mmmm. Comfort food. It's also fun to have company for dinner on Sunday nights, I guess I'm drawn to the concept of "Sunday Night Suppers" as my dad and step mom have practiced this for years.


So, the Seaberghs came to dinner, as well as Brandon's friend Neil and his girl. It's worth pointing out that Neil and Nick are both chefs and I'd never cooked either of the dishes I was serving. I was a tad bit nervous. They were both kind and helpful and helped me to figure out the moment when the steak was no longer alive, but had not yet turned into a tire. For this, I was grateful. I did have to put up with a few snarky comments about my knives but it was all in good fun. Instead of using an outdoor grill, I used my Cuisinart table top grill. Seriously, who wants to deal with the heat and mosquitoes involved in outdoor grilling. Not me.

Grilled Flank Steak with Onions

from WW Online

3 tbl red wine vinegar

1 tbl olive oil

2 tst dried oregano

2 tsp minced garlic

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 1/2 raw lean flank steak

3/4 tsp table salt, divided

1 large red onion, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices

cooking spray

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Add the flank steak, seal tightly and place in the fridge. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. In the meantime, spray onions with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt. Toss.

Remove steak from marinade, discard marinade. Heat outdoor grill (or indoor grill to high). Grill steak, turning once, for about 15 minutes. Or longer, depending on how done you like it. Remove steak from grill, place on a cutting board to rest. While steak is resting, place onion slices on grill - turn occasionally.

To serve: thinly slice steak against the grain and place on platter. Sprinkle onions on top.

Serving size about 3 1/2 oz steak and 1/3 cup of onions
WW points 4
Now, a word on polenta. This recipe (the yellow blob on the picture) is one that I have been eyeing for a while. However, like flank steak, it's tough to find a box of polenta in the 'Wood. So i find the polenta, and am all excited about trying the recipe, Parmesan Polenta it was. Well...it flopped. In my opinion at least. I think it was good at first but after it sat for a while something happened. I'm not going to post the recipe because I would like to keep working on it. Fingers crossed everyone.

The rest of the meal included vegetables by Neil (with a stick of butter, mind you) and a Cesar Salad by Mary Neff and Nick. Yum, yum. Good meal, good night!

In blog house keeping news, I am going to start putting the dish featured in each post in the title. This might look a little strange but I'm hoping that it will help people re-find recipes that they loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment