7/1/10

Milestones


One thing that we discuss a lot in therapy is milestones. Celebrating milestones is an important way to recognize success and keep motivated to reach your goals. I've experienced several milestones on this journey - loosing the first twenty pounds, being able to borrow clothes from skinny friends, not being recognized by people. All of these have been very exciting.

My most recent milestone involves a pair of skinny jeans. I always told myself that I would really felt like I had made it when I was able to squeeze into a pair of "designer" jeans. You may not realize this but if you are a certain size you can't really find fancy, hip jeans to fit you. This has never really bothered me because (a) I'm cheap and (b) I'm just fine with my Gap jeans. I've almost bought several pairs since reaching my goal weight but just really haven't found any that got me fired up.

Until about a month ago.

I have gotten the Gilt Groupe emails for a while now but they usually just end up getting deleted. End of May an advertisement came through for a sale on J Brand Jeans. Hmmmm. I'd heard good things about these little darlings and decided to get myself a pair. Well, it was quite nerve-racking considering that I had no clue what size i wore and the had written under the picture, big bold print, THESE JEANS RUN VERY SMALL, PLEASE CONSIDER GOING UP A SIZE. How can i go up a size if if have no clue what size I am? Also - I accidentally got two pairs instead of one. Two pairs wound up in my basket, I couldn't figure out how to remove one, so I just decided it was a sign to get them both.

As of yesterday, I have in my possession two fresh pairs of fancy jeans - one black, one indigo, both "skinny" and very low rise. The low rise part is a hilarity in itself considering that I inherited my mother's naturally high waist. But they feel good, fit like a glove actually. Quite comfortable to boot. I am now a believer in the fancy jean. Doesn't mean that I'm abandoning the Gap for good - but I'll for sure keep my eye out for future sales.

Enough about jeans, lets talk carbohydrates. With the holiday coming up, don't you want a new potato salad recipe? This one is good. Not mayonnaise-y, very light and flavorful. Take it to your par-tay.

Baby Red Potato Salad
from Gina

4 cups baby red potatoes, diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup red onion
3 green onions, diced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbl olive oil
1 tbl red wine vinegar
1 tbl reduced fat mayo
salt and pepper

Boil potatoes until tender, about ten minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Meanwhile, combine onion, bell pepper, mustard, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add to potatoes and combine. Add greed onions and give another good stir. Refrigerate.

Serving size 3/4 cup
WW points 2

4 comments:

  1. cool jeans! you definitely should get the black christian louboutin's pumps they are showing with the jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering how the J. Brand purchase went....WOO HOO!! So glad to hear you loved them and can't WAIT to see them on your fine self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Laura Merrill! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete