7/5/10

There's Pesto on My Ceiling (Fresh Tomato Pesto Pizza)

No, really. There is. I'm not trying to be cute. Look left for the picture of my fresh tomato-pesto pizza and you'll understand why there was pesto on my ceiling. Let's start from the beginning.
My dear friend Win decided to come up from New Orleans for a holiday in Greenwood. There were many things exciting about this event, one of which being it gave me an excuse to try out a new recipe. Win and I always have a riot of a time together - preparing this pizza was no different. Armed with tomatoes from the farmers market and basil from my patio - we set out to cooking. I don't have a food processor...I had one but it died a long time ago. I use a blender for all situations that require chopping. Of course - top off the blender, spatula in the blender - for some reason i turn the blender on. Pesto everywhere, including on the ceiling. And maybe it's still there.

Fresh Tomato Pesto Pizza
adapted from MyRecipes

Pesto:
4 cups fresh basil leaves
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fat free, less sodium chicken brother
1 tbl fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tbl olive oil

Place the basil leaves and the garlic in a food processor / blender. Make sure the top is on. Pulse five time or until finely chopped. With processor / blender on, add broth, parm, and oil through the chute. Process until well blended.

Pizza:
1 whole wheat pizza crust (premade)
3 cups chopped/seeded tomato
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup part skim mozzarella

Preheat oven according to directions on the crust package. Place crust on baking sheet. Spread pesto over the crust; top with tomato, garlic slices, and mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and everything is warmed through - this will vary from pizza to pizza.

Serving size 1/6 of pizza
WW points 4

Added bonus: the pest sauce is 1 pt for 1/4 of the recipe - I think it would be yummy over pasta.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. I know mine was great...good friends, good food, good mojitos.

Happy 4th on the 5th!

No comments:

Post a Comment