7/20/10

Vegetable Polenta Bake

This post kicks off my adventure into trying every single recipe on the Tasty Kitchen website. Maybe not every single recipe...I do plan to put a dent in it though. This recipe gave me a good excuse to tackle that polenta again. Luckily, this time I had a bit more success.
Overall, I was pleased with this recipe. I will, however, do some tweaking next time. I chopped everything up yesterday afternoon after work so it was pretty easy to throw together after the run (more on that later.) Nice a filling and a good way to get those veggies in. Give it a try!


Vegetable Polenta Bake
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
1 cup yellow squash, chopped
1 cup greens, chopped **
1 cup light spaghetti sauce
1/2 tbl dried parsley OR 1 tbl fresh parsley
1/4 cups polenta OR yellow cornmeal
1 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 oz part skim Mozzarella cheese
2 tbl fresh Parmesan, grated

Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in a pan, add onions and cook for a few minutes. Next, add squash and zucchini and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add greens and stir until they begin to wilt. Add pasta sauce and stir until greens have cooked down. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.

In another small pot, combine polenta (or cornmeal), water, garlic powder, and salt. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Once it starts to thicken, stir constantly until the mixture is pretty thick.

Take a small baking dish, spray with cooking spray. Layer half of the vegetable mixture, half of the polenta/cornmeal mixture, then half of the cheese. Repeat. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes.

Serving size 1/2 of recipe
WW points 6

Points Plus 7

A few notes on this one. I used mustard greens - I don't recommend that you do that. The original recipe called for kale or chard but I could not find that. I think next time I'll use spinach. Also - I could not get the layering to work out. Mine was just all the veggies, then the polenta, then the cheese and it was fine.

This was a great post run meal. However, was quite difficult to do things like open the oven door and lift the spoon to stir the polenta. It wasn't until after I finished eating that my heart rate finally went down to a normal level. I think I'm going to get 6 pack abs from breathing so hard. It's the attempt that matters, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment