8/25/10

Vegitable (Kind of) Fried (Brown) Rice

You know your dishes have treated you well when they have battle scars. That's what we are calling those chips. Battle scars. Or maybe notches of personality. Doesn't really matter. What matters is the hundreds of delicious, satisfying, and in the last year and a half healthy meals that these bowls have provided me with. Why am I getting all emotional about my dishes? I have no idea.

What I do know is that Tuesday night's dinner was quite the hit. A winner, winner (not a) chicken dinner you could say. Lots of things in (parenthesis) today.

I love fried rice. I love it any form. Well. Except the time that i tried to make it in college and did not chop the ginger up small enough, therefore making the whole dish taste like soap. Luckily my kitchen gear has grown to include a micro plane, so I'm good.

Vegetable Fried Rice
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

2 cups instant brown rice, cooked as directed
1/3 cup vegetable broth
3 tbl low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp grated, fresh ginger
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp canola oil (divided)
1 cup egg beaters (lightly beaten)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups mixed frozen veggies, thawed
cooking spray

Combine broth, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, and salt into a bowl; combine with a whisk. Set aside. Heat 1/2 tsp canola oil in a large skillet coated with spray . Add beaten eggs, scramble. Set eggs aside.

Heat remaining 1/2 tsp of canola oil in the pan. Add rice, cook for about 3 minutes or until heated through. Add vegetables, broth mixture, garlic, and green onions; cook until thoroughly heated. Add scrambled eggs and heat through.

Serving size 1 cup
WW points 5
Points Plus 7

No comments:

Post a Comment