9/21/10

Don't Judge (Meat Loaf)

Mary Straton, hide your eyes. I've made meat loaf again. I know how you feel about a loaf of meat.

Moving on.

I've heard the judges on Top Chef say that you "eat with your eyes" first. If that was the case last night, Brandon would have asked me to pack my knives and go. Or my knife. My very dull knife.

Luckily, I've not on Top Chef. Also, we ate supper at my house so nobody can make me pack anything and go anywhere. So there.

Visually appealing this meal was not, not quite sure why. At some point during the cooking process a large crack developed. This led to a total break down of the loaf - it spit into many different pieces when I cut into it. If it would have split into 8 different equally portioned pieces, I would have been OK. That was not the case.

This is a recipe that was included in an email I received a few days ago. I was cruising the message boards on the WW website and people were talking about wanting a copy of "Turnaroundsue's 1000 recipes." Of course, I wanted it, too. I put my email address on the message and hoped for the best. The next morning, I had a happy little email in my inbox with this simple message encouraging me to enjoy the 1064 recipes that were now in my possession. Here is the first one I've tried out of 1064. Thanks, Turnaroundsue - whoever you are!

Meat Loaf
adapted from Turnaroundsue

1 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 tbl lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
2 lbs ground beef (7% lean)
15 saltine crackers, smushed into crumbs
1 medium onion, diced
2 egg whites, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 tbl of lemon juice, and dry mustard; stir until smooth.

In a large bowl, combine beef, cracker crumbs, onion, egg whites, 3 tbl of lemon juice, and 1/3 cup of tomato sauce mixture. Combine well. Get in there with your hands. Form the mixture into a ball, place into a greased baking dish. Form the meat mixture into a loaf.

Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven, pour off the fat. Top with the remaining tomato sauce mixture. Bake for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 equal slices

Serving size 1 slice
WW points 5

Points plus 6

No comments:

Post a Comment