9/14/10

Hamburger Helper = Love (Hamburger Rotini Delight)

I've always had a special place in my heart for Hamburger Helper. Not because it reminds me of family suppers as a child, but because it kept me from starving when I was in graduate school. I was 21, poor, terrified of Memphis, and had a very limited knowledge of nutrition. All of these factors combined led to me spending of lot of time with one pound, one pan, and one tasty meal. And a weight problem.

My love for this amazing-ness in a box has stuck with me. I even tried to make it WW friendly when I first started counting points. Not very good, I wouldn't recommend it.

I would, however, recommend this tasty treat. It has the pasta + meat goodness without the mystery pack of seasoning.

Hamburger Rotini Delight
adapted from
Simply Recipes

1 1/2 cup whole wheat rotini (I used Kroger brand)
1 lb extra lean ground beef (4% fat) *I used Laura's Lean Ground Beef
2 tsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 tsp seasoned salt *I used Jane's Krazy salt
dash ground red pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
28 oz diced tomatoes
2 tbl Worcestershire
small handful fresh parsley, chopped
additional salt, pepper to taste
2 tbl part skim mozzarella

Bring a pot of water to boil, add pasta. Cook according to package directions. Drain, set aside.

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add meat, brown. Once meat is cooked, set aside. Wipe out skillet. Add olive oil and onions. Saute until soft. Add beef, seasoned salt, ground pepper, celery salt, garlic powder, diced tomatoes, and Worcestershire. Bring to a simmer, allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Add pasta and parsley, allow to cook for another five minutes.

Top each serving with 1/2 tbl mozzarella

Serving size 1/4 of recipe
WW points 6
Points Plus 8

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment