9/28/10

Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Mexican - Style Brown Rice Casserole)

Aside from my monthly Real Simple and Weight Watcher magazines, along with the occasional wedding / party invite, my mail box stays pretty ho-hum.  It's mostly credit card offers, the sale papers, and letters from some guy trying to get me to change my auto insurance over to him.


Yesterday, however, things got a little jazzy.  One of my dearest friends sent me a card in the mail.  I was flooded with excitement - how I love non business related mail!  Totally made my day.  My point in sharing this story with you today is this....send someone you care about some mail.  Not an email, or a text, or a FB shout out, but some mail.  Buy a stamp.  Maybe treat yourself to some new stationary.  Tell them you think they rock and you are glad they are in your life.  Life is short.  Just do it.  Thanks, L to the D!

You know what else might flood you with excitement?  This casserole.  And it's weight watchers.  And amazing.  And meatless.  And not as blurry as this picture makes it out to be. 

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
adapted from WW online

cooking spray
4 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/4 cup salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
15 oz refried beans, fat free
10 frozen corn kernels, thawed
4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild
1 tbl chili powder
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed with water pressed out
3/4 cup Mexican style shredded cheese (WW brand)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the rice, salsa, and cumin.  Spoon 2 cups of rice into the baking dish. 

In another large bowl, combine beans, corn, chili peppers, and chili powder.  Spread this over the rice - easier with a spatula. 

Spread the spinach atop the bean layer, top with 6 tbl of cheese.  Top with the rest of the rice mixture and the rest of the cheese. 

Bake for about 30 minutes or until heated through.  Divide into 6 equal slices. 

Serving size 1 slice
WW points 6
Points Plus 8

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it ghi!! And, for the record, I think writing and sending cards may be just as fun as receiving them. Glad it made you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could come cook for Callie and me this week. All we have is a half a loaf of bread, waffles, and Special K crisps. This sounds D-lish!

    ReplyDelete