9/17/10

(A Version Of) Chilaquiles Casserole

I don't understand my fascination with Mexican cuisine. Perhaps it all started in high school when we would have regular gatherings at my mom's house that were focused on Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas and Peggy's Cheese Biscuits. Sombreros were present. As were slicky shorts.

Or maybe it comes from
the Thursday nights when I was living in Greenville and a large group of us would meet at San Juans for libations and visiting. It was after one of these nights that I some how got my feet tangled up in the sweater / scarf number I was wearing and face planted outside of a nursing home after visiting with their social worker. I walked away with one skinned knee and a very bruised ego.

Maybe still it's because no matter how many dishes I create, I still can't put a dent in the massive bag of corn tortillas hanging out in my pantry. I hope those things don't expire.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad I'm on this kick. The flavors are bold, the colors are bright, and it's a great way for me to sneak veggies in on myself. I've recently realized that I sometimes go daaaaays without eating anything green. Eeek.


Hopefully, this recipe will make your Friday more festive!


Chilaquiles Casserole
adapted from Eating Well

1 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 19 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups corn, frozen (thaw) or fresh
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
12 corn tortillas, quartered
1 19 oz can mild red or green enchilada sauce
1 1/2 cup Weight Watchers shredded Mexican cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat canola oil in large skillet, add onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir often. Add zucchini, beans, tomatoes, corn, cumin, and salt. Allow to heat through, about 3 minutes.

Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Scatter half of the tortillas on the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the vegetable mixture, half of the enchilada sauce, and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.


Cover tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover, bake for about 10 minutes.


Serving size 1/8 of casserole
WW points 4
Points Plus 5

No comments:

Post a Comment