10/5/10

Italian Sausage and Bean Soup

Don't you just want to curl up in this pot of soup and take a nap? Well, maybe you would if it wasn't slightly burnt up and creepy on the side. I was tidying up my room and forgot that I had soup on the stove. Thankfully, my mistake did not affect the taste.

This was a recipe I tried after having left over celery and carrots. Also - I accidentally bought the wrong kind of sausage for the breakfast casserole I made last week. For once, I am very excited that I over bought food and forgot to read my recipe.  Thank heavens for my flighty-ness. 

Italian Sausage and Bean Soup
adapted from All Recipes

1 tbl olive oil
1 lb turkey sausage, casings removed
1 1/2 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 cup carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1 can Italian style diced tomatoes
5 cups fat free chicken broth
1 can kidney beans, drained 
1 cup whole wheat pasta shells

Heat olive oil in a large pot.  Add sausage, cook, breaking into pieces.  Once cooked, add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, basil, rosemary, red pepper, and Italian seasoning.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  

To sausage, add tomatoes.  Allow to heat through.  Add chicken broth and kidney beans.  Stir well.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.  Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.

Add pasta, cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is done.  

Serving size 1 cup
WW points 4
Points Plus 5

Many many many many more soup recipes to come.....and it's not even that cold yet.  Love it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment