10/21/10

Labor of Love (Orzo and Broccoli Risotto)

All of this running around the southeast lately has really chipped into my sewing time.  Not complaining - I've had a great October thus far, but I was glad to be able to be able to work on some projects this week. 


Two of these three pairs of paints (I know, pants, but it's more fun to say "paints" isn't it?) were put together Monday and Tuesday night.  Easy as pie and quite fun to make.  If you sew, you should pick up the pattern.

I also spent some time working on some long overalls last night.  I almost have them finished but decided to stop for the night after the seam ripper made it's second appearance.  Sewing talk is a blast, huh?   

It's quite a process, sewing that is.  A labor of love we could call it. 

Speaking of a labor of love, I made risotto for supper last night.  The idea came to me after the Great Pantry Clean Out of 2010.  Since then, I've found myself face to face with a jar of orzo each time I open the pantry.  I found the recipe online and luckily had almost all of the ingredients on hand. 

Why is this a labor of love?  Well - I'll tell you.  Because you have to stir risotto for ever.  I mean seriously - for FREAKING EVER.  Like cramp in  your hand forever.  But it was worth it - risotto is always worth it. 


Orzo and Broccoli Risotto
adapted from WW Online

14 oz vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup carrot, julienned
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup uncooked orzo
5 oz broccoli (thawed if frozen)
3 tbl fat free half and half
3 tbl Parmesan cheese, grated

Bring water and broth to a boil in a small sauce pan.  Reduce the heat, keep at a simmer.

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, add carrot and garlic; cook until garlic smells nice and garlic-y; about one minute.  Add the orzo and cook, stirring, until it is lightly toasted; about two minutes.  Reduce heat to medium low.

Add 1/2 cup of the broth mixture to orzo and stir until absorbed.  Continue to add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting for all of the liquid to be absorbed before adding more.  Cook until pasta is slightly firm, add broccoli when you add the last addition of broth. 

Stir in half and half, heat for about one minute.  Stir in cheese. 

Serve at once

Serving size 1 1/2 cup (makes two servings)
WW points 8
Points Plus 11

Just be patient....stir and stir and stir and stir until all of that broth is absorbed.  You won't be sorry, for reals.

1 comment:

  1. Much more fun to say "paints" - thanks for the pattern suggestion.

    ReplyDelete