10/25/10

Slow Sunday Supper (Slow Cooker Lasagna)

After my most recent crock pot debacle, I decided to dust the old girl off and try it again.  This time, I made sure to stick close to home in order to avoid mistakes made last week. 

It has been said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 

As mentioned in the title, this was a slow Sunday supper.  There is something about a Sunday meal, I feel like it should be a big deal.  Growing up, our big Sunday meal was always lunch; supper was usually a find whatever you can type situation - if memory serves me right.  Our Sunday lunches involved whatever family that was in town coming together after church.  The location for this varied between various restaurants in Greenville:  The Country Club, Hunan's, Gus', and most recently Nanny's house with my dad picking up some chicken. 

It's a tradition that I miss, not living there anymore, but one I often think about.  I rarely lunch out on Sundays, aside from B and I randomly going to the Mexican restaurant OR Turnrow Brunch.  I do, however, try to do a fancy meal on a Sunday night.  It works for me because I can spend as little or as much time on it as I want during the day and not have to worry about being rushed.  


Really rambling now, aren't I?  I guess it was all the family time on Saturday in Starkville.  Got me all reminiscent about Sunday lunches.  Anywho.  Moving on.

I used the crock pot in this one, but I guess you wouldn't have to?  There was a little bit of prep work here but it was very worth it.  It's one of those "there's no freaking way this it a WW meal" kind of meals.  Hearty, comforting, easy...the perfect end to a wonderful weekend.  

Slow Cooker Lasagna

cooking spray
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz canned tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 cup part skim ricotta
1 1/2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
6 items dry lasagna noodles, no-cook
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, add beef, onion, and garlic.  Cook until done.  Add cans of tomatoes and seasonings, allow to simmer for about five minutes.

Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese in a small bowl.

Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into the crock pot.  Top with 3 lasagna noodles, broken apart to fit into the crock pot.  Top with 1/2 of the cheese mixture.  Repeat the layers, ending with the meat mixture. 

Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours. 

Remove cover, turn off heat.  Combine the remaining mozzarella cheese with Parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle evenly atop the beef mixture.  Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes.

Serving size 1/6 of recipe
WW points 8
Points Plus 9

No comments:

Post a Comment