11/9/10

A Lesson in Spaghetti Squash

One thing that always helps when trying to make a change OR maintain a positive behavior is having someone do it with it.  Whether it's exercising, dieting, or getting rid of a nasty attitude, it helps to have support.  It is also helpful to have someone to bounce ideas off of.   

This whole spaghetti squash situation started when I talked to Lauren, one of my dear friends who has moved to Nashville.  Lauren and I used to work together and spent lots of time discussing points, wasa crackers, and other important matters.  She sent me a text last week, proclaiming the glories of spaghetti squash.  Not knowing what the heck she was talking about, I asked several questions, along with doing some research of my own. 

Turns out it's a tasty little treat, while also keeping it weird. Looks like pasta but tastes like squash?  Just go with it.  Here's how I cooked mine.  

First and most obvious, secure a spaghetti squash.  I got mine at Wal Mart.  
 

Pre-heat the oven to 375.  Take a fork and pierce the outside of the squash.  This is more challenging that you would think as these suckers have a pretty tough shell.  Also, be careful to not let the squash role, causing you to stab yourself in the hand.
 

The squash is going to cook for an hour, I suggest you find something to do.  I worked on exploring a pattern for making yoga pants, but whatever!  It's your hour, make yourself happy. 


Allow to bake in the oven for one hour.  After the hour, remove the 'old girl from the oven and let it hang out.  Return to whatever activity you were engaging in during that hour.  This thing is going to be H-O-T and will take at least 20 minutes before it can be handled. 



Once the squash is cooled, slice it in half (lengthwise).  Remove the seeds.  I don't really have a suggestion on how to do this, I just dug around until I found the seeds.  It was also at this point in the game that I stood there staring at the squash for a good 10 minutes.  It's such an odd looking bird.


This part was pretty cool.  Take a fork and scrape the insides out, separating it into strings.  Strings?  There's got to be another word for that but I can't think of it. 

Pile all of your strings up and figure out how your going to eat them.  I did it this way:  1 cup of spaghetti squash, 1/2 cup light pasta sauce, 1 tbl Parmesan cheese for a 2 point little meal (3 point plus meal.)  Hey now....that's pretty good. 

Spaghetti squash really does remind me of tofu, it just goes along with whatever you put on top of it.  Lauren - I miss you and you are awesome for sharing this little jewel with me.  I'm going to drive to Nashville soon and karate chop your door. 

2 comments:

  1. Laura Merrill, I like your food blog! Turns out I cook like we are all on WW :)

    We eat a lot of spaghetti squash and I've come to realize that I like it best with just salt and pepper. Very subtle flavor but a perfect side dish to a big flavorful main course.

    Also, if you 'over'cook spaghetti squash, it tastes and has the same texture as butternut squash. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it friend! I miss you tons and want to see you sooooooon! And your karate chops. Love the blog, and love you!

    ReplyDelete