11/10/10

Pulled Chicken Goulash

Goulash! It just sounds good. Sounds all warm and cozy.  This dish reminds me of my dear friend Clare, she has a kickin' recipe for Hungarian Goulash.  It's her grandmother's recipe, she gave me a copy and it's in her own handwriting.  It has notes like "this recipe doubled will feed our family."  I know how good it tastes when Clare makes it, I can't even handle how good it would be when made by her grandmother. 

So I've made Clare's recipe before. It was OK but nothing like when she made it.  Clare is not afraid to use butter.  Or heavy whipping cream.  I, on the other hand, am. 

So this little jewel that I found was a way for me to get the hearty goodness of Goulash while not going off the deep end with fat and calories. 

 
Pulled Chicken Goulash
adapted from Crepes of Wrath

1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (or tenderloins)
1 large purple onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Anaheim peppers (*I used Anaheim as they have good flavor but are not to hot....you could use habenero or any other pepper that you fancy)
3 cloves of garlic,  minced
1 tbl paprika (regular or smoked)
1 19 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbl brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Add all ingredients to a crock pot, cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.  About 30 minutes before you plan to eat, remove the chicken, shred it with two forks, and return it to the crock pot. 

Serving size 1 cup
WW points 4
Points Plus 5

I enjoyed this with whole wheat noodles and a dollop of sour cream.  A winter keeper, for sures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment