11/8/10

Tofu?

This weekend, I tried something I'd never tried before.  No, I didn't skydive or get a tattoo (or did I?)....I cooked tofu. 

I must admit, I was a little nervous about trying the tofu.  The concept is foreign to me and about halfway through preparing this dish, I almost threw my hands up and claimed "To heck with it!"  I have quite the texture issue when it comes to food (hence the chicken issue) and the texture of the tofu almost put me to bed.  Luckily, it all worked out in the end. 

The recipe (and the picture) came from Running the Traveled Road, I prepared it Sunday afternoon for my at work lunch.  As Lindsay discusses in her blog, this packs a huge nutritional punch.  I'm also hoping that it will be quite filling and hold me throughout the day. 


Tofu and Chickpea Salad

1 package extra firm tofu, chopped up
1 can chick peas, drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 tbl red wine vinegar
3 tbl olive oil
3 tbl lemon juice
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
3 tbl Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray, add tofu and 1/2 tsp each of rosemary and thyme.  Stir fry until brown. 

Combine all ingredients, including cooked tofu, into a bowl.  Toss well. 

Serving size 1 cup
WW points 5
Points Plus 6

I plan to eat this with a 1 point tortilla - I must say I'm kind of excited about lunch this week.  I mean, I don't even care if that's weird. 

Lindsay if you're reading....thanks for the great recipe!!  And I'm TOTALLY trying that sausage and kale soup.  Yum to my tum. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you like it! I selfishly hope you start eating tofu so I can try YOUR recipes. Um, the sausage kale soup was divine- I think it would be more healthy with turkey sausage and be just as good. Just made a spicy veggie tofu soup thing today for my lunches this week... Let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete