12/10/10

Cajun White Beans

So I stumbled upon this food blog the other day.  It's called Deep South Dish and it is a-mazing.  Is it a WW blog?  No, it's not.  But again.  A-mazing.  If you think that I'm not going to be making Mac and Cheese Soup sometime in the very near future, you're nuts. 

So as I was poking around the site, drooling, I found a recipe for Cajun White Beans and Rice. I decided that this was one for me, as well as one that could be revamped to be more Weight Watchers friendly without to much trouble.  The end result turned out well.  It's quite warm and comforting and perfect for a day where it looks like it might snow at any second.  But you know it's not going to snow so you just move on and eat Cajun White Beans.  And get in your snuggie.  

I have not tried this with rice yet but I'm sure it would be knock out.  You should try it and tell me if it's good or not.  

I know this is not in front of the tree. I figured that me, by myself, trying to take a picture of my huge pot of soup in front of the tree might be disastrous.  And I was to rushed to snap one once it got in front of the tree.  But see how it's a red pot and a green towel?  Always thinkin'.


Cajun White Beans
adapted from Deep South Dish

1 lb dried Great Northern Beans
1 tsp canola oil
14 oz smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
dried parsley (about a palmful)
1 tsp Tony's seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Soak white beans overnight (or in my case, while you are at the workplace).  Drain and set aside. 

In a large pot heat canola oil.  Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, cook until soft.  Add garlic, cook for about a minute.  Add white beans.  Cover with enough water to cover the beans plus about an inch and a half.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for about an hour and a half. 

Stir in parsley, green onions, Tony's, salt and pepper.  Cook for another 5 minutes. 

Serving size: 1 cup (makes approximately 9 servings)
Points Plus:  7

1 comment:

  1. this looks awesome. i have all the ingredients down on my grocery list. hope to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete