12/27/10

Comfort in a Bowl (A la Carte Vegetable Tortellini Soup)

I had the privilege of graduating from one of the finest schools in Mississippi.  What school you ask?  Delta State University.  Was it the stellar education I received?  That's part of it, yes.  Was it the fact that our mascot is the fighting okra?  Yes, that too.  The main thing that made it so cool?  The fact that when I had a few extra dollars I could treat myself to lunch at one of the finest places around...A la Carte Ally.  Oh yeah.  Take me home, wine and cheese dressing.  

This little lunch spot also served a soup called Vegetable Tortellini Soup.  In all honesty, I don't think I ever ordered it at the restaurant.  I was much to consumed with consuming the many wrap sandwiches they offered.  It was after I received the cookbook that the restaurant published that I discovered the soup.

This soup is quite similar to one I made a few months ago. That one was good, but this one is really where it's at.  

   
And yes, there really is soup in there.  It's just covered up by all of the tortellini. I mean, seriously? How could you know want to make up a dance a dedicate it to this soup? I'm dancing as I eat and type.  Because I'm good like that.  

Jokes.  

This might get a little hard to follow.  The original recipe calls for you to cook all of the tortellini and then stir it into the soup.  I don't do that because (1) it's harder to get the exact points as the tort is way higher in points than the actual soup and (2) if you store this in the fridge, and you will because it makes a ton, the tort will absorb all of the juice from soup and you will just have tort and no soup.  Still with me?  Good.  So I just cook the number of servings of tortellini that I plan to eat and keep them separate from each other.  And here's a neat little plan for carrying it to work...put one serving or tortellini in a Tupperware container and one serving of soup in a zip lock bag.  Place the zip lock bag atop the tort and cover with the lid.  When I get ready for lunch tomorrow I'll just combine them and heat it up.  And yes it would've been easier to put the soup in the Tupperware and the tortellini in the bag but my brain didn't work like that.  For the record, I used Barilla Tortellini (dry, spinach and ricotta flavor).  The points plus value for this is 6 for 3/4 of a cup (uncooked).

If you are still with me, I'm impressed at your dedication to getting the recipe for this soup. 

A la Carte Vegetable Tortellini Soup
adapted from Absolutely A la Carte

1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup of zucchini, chopped
1 cup of squash, chopped
2 large cans Italian style diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley

Spinach and cheese tortellini (try to find the lowest points possible)

Stir fry carrot and celery in a large pot coated with cooking spray.  Toss constantly, about 5 minutes.  Add onion and garlic.  Add the next seven ingredients, bring to a boil. 

Reduce heat and simmer for an hour, hour and a half. 

Towards the end of the cooking time for the soup, cook pasta according to the package directions.  I cooked two servings of my pasta (1 1/2 cup dry) and divided it once I was done. 

Measure out 1 cup of soup into a bowl, add pasta to soup.  Curl up and rock out. 

Serving size 1 cup of the soup (no tortellini, makes about 15 cups)
Points plus 1 (again, just the soup, no tortellini)

The total points for mine was 7 (6 for 3/4 cup of pasta, 1 for 1 cup of soup)

I apologize for making this recipe so chaotic.  I believe I'm still in some sort of a sugar coma from Christmas. 

Go to A la Carte!
  

1 comment:

  1. this is one of my winter favorites, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete