12/7/10

Fake Out! (Cincinatti Turkey Chili)

I bet you think this is a picture of spaghetti.


Well.  Probably not.  My attempts at a fake out have been ruined by posting the name of this dish in the title.  I've never been good at surprises.  

This dish reinforces the fact that I have the taste buds of a 6 year old.  Put it on top of pasta, top it with cheese, I'll eat it.  Really - that's kind of what sent me to Weight Watchers to begin with.  My unstoppable love of starches and dairy products.  But I digress.  

Back to the food.  This meal is great for a cozy night in doors.  It would also be good to serve if you suddenly had a family of 10 arrive on your doorstep hungry.  You would have to entertain them for an hour while it cooks, but that shouldn't be to hard. 

Luckily, I can handle a leftover.  This meal is already portioned out in all of it's layer-ey goodness, ready to be carried to Ruleville and eaten for lunch.  

Life is good.  

Cincinnati Turkey Chili
adapted from WW Online

1 lb extra lean ground turkey
2 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
4 oz copped green chilies, canned, mild
6 tbl chili powder
1 tbl unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
14 oz canned diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
1 cup salsa, mild, chunky
1 cup water

1/2 lb whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a large pot.  Add onion, garlic, and pepper.  Cook until soft.  Add chili powder, green chilies, cocoa, cumin, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.  Allow to cook for about a minute.  Add the ground turkey, cook until done.  

Add tomatoes (do not drain), tomato sauce, salsa and water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.  Cook for about an hour until chili is thickened and flavors are blended.  

Towards the end of the cook time for chili, prepare pasta according to the package directions.  

Serving size generous 1/2 cup of pasta, 1 cup of chili, 1 tbl of cheese
Points Plus 5

A few notes on this one:
  • I don't remember what kind of green pepper I used, but it looked like a really dark green bell pepper.  It could have been a green bell past its prime - I can't say for sure.  Regardless, it wasn't to much heat.
  • Before adding the spices, it helps to have them all measured out before trying to add them.  If not the onions could burn while you try to get all of the spices measured out.  Here's a good time to use that adorable small bowl that is sitting in your kitchen without a purpose.  
  • It's kind of hard to tell when the turkey is cooked due to how dark it is when mixed with the spices.  Just go with your instinct and remember that it's going to cook for another hour.
  • Speaking of spices - you should use all 6 tbl of chili powder.  I initially reduced this to 3 tbl (I was scared) but added the other 3 after I smelled how sweet it was.  The chili powder and the sweet spices balance each other out to make a lovely flavor.  
  • If not eating all of this at once, just cook however much pasta you will want to eat.  I cooked enough for the initial meal plus what I want to have for lunch.  That one is kind of obvious. 
  • This meal could also be made with lean ground chicken.  That's what the recipe called for and what I would have used had I been able to find it.  The point values would not change as long as it is lean.   
  • I can't figure out how to make the bulleting stop so I'm just going to end it here.  Keep warm, my friends!    

No comments:

Post a Comment