12/1/10

Racoons and Red Neck Cuisine (Red Neck Casserole)

I saw a raccoon at work yesterday. Why is this a big deal?  It's not really.  But it did put a few things into action.  For starters....I didn't really think that raccoons spent a lot of time mulling around during the day.  I thought they were more of a night time creature.  Also - why was said raccoon in the hospital parking lot?  Not sure.  It also allowed me to have a lively conversation with the merry band of construction workers that were equally as fascinated with the 'coon.  The conversation went a little like this:  

Me:  Did ya'll see that raccoon?

Merry Band of Construction Workers:  Yeah.

Me:  Are ya'll going to trap it?

MBoCW:  Yea.  And eat it.

Me:  Well don't eat it Friday.  I'll be off then. 

MBoCW:  We'll save you some.  

Me:  Awesome.  

This conversation gave me a little shiver, thinking about some of the strange things people consume.  I consider raccoon to be a red neck dish.  Call me crazy.  

My mind soon drifted to what I would be having for supper.  The recipe was from my sister; I had originally entitled it "Jen's Casserole." I quickly decided to change the name to "Red Neck Casserole."  If there's anything I love more than a casserole, it's one that is a little bit red.  Funny thing is, my sister is not a redneck.  She's the furthest thing from it.  In fact, I don't even think she ever went through the expected red neck phase that most girls born and raised in the delta go through.  Good thing you can love this dish no matter the color of your neck. 

Before I share the recipe, I would like to make two, completely unrelated, notes.  For starters, please notice the cone shaped ornament behind the dish.  I call it my purse.  Lindsey gave it to me and it is one of the stranger ornaments I've seen.  Second - this dish was amazingly cheap to make.  I spent $11.41 purchasing the ingredients.  This comes out to a whopping $1.41 per serving.  How cool?
    

Red Neck Casserole

8 oz whole wheat "Egg Style" noodles (I used Ronzoni brand)
1 lb lean ground beef (94% fat free)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
15 oz tomato sauce
8 oz reduced fat sour cream
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
6 green onions, chopped
1 tbl sugar
salt and pepper (to taste)
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare noodles according to package directions, drain and return to pot they were cooked in.

Brown meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray until done.  Add sour cream, cream cheese, green onions, tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Pour the meat mixture into pot with the noodles.  Mix well. 

Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.  Pour in meat and noodles.  Top with cheese.  Bake for about 25 minutes.  Divide into 8 equal parts.

Serving size 1 piece
Points plus:  8

2 comments:

  1. kepler's has a very good "redneck meat sauce"...i doubt ww friendly though
    lol at your conversation with the construction workers

    ReplyDelete