1/26/11

Chicken Parmesan, Again

Whenever I ask Brandon what he would like to me to cook for supper he says either chicken parmesan, pork tenderloin, or sloppy joes. My response to this is usually something along the lines of yeah, I know you like all of that but dude, I write a blog that calls me to try new recipes all the time so how 'bout you pick something else?  Rude.  Rude rude rude.

So the other day, I asked the same old question.  This time, the Brandon zeroed in on some chicken parm.  I went a different route and instead of requesting he come up with something else, I decided I could just as easily find a new recipe.  Compromise.  It's all about the compromise. 

This new version of healthy(er) chicken Parmesan is from Ellie Krieger and I'm happy to report that it didn't disappoint.  Seemed to have a little bit more flavor than some of the other ones I've made.  

I think it's worth mentioning that I found the points on this one a little difficult to calculate.  This is because (a) I forgot how much chicken I used and (b) it seemed like a lot of the ingredients were never used.  For example...after breading the chicken there's lots of bread crumbs left over.  Does all of this count?  Not sure.  What I decided to do was just count it as is...if I was a little bit over in the pointage so be it.  Means I just had less calories that day.  Also, the day I made it was the same day I spoke at Nanny's church...I ignored the points in the ham / potato salad / bread meal that I ate while I was there.  

I feel as though it all works out in the end....


Chicken Parmesan
adapted from Food Network

1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (divided into 5 equal pieces; pounded to 1/2 inch thick)
2 cups spaghetti sauce (I used Prego heart smart)
3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbl Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine bread crumbs, oregano, garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper.  In another bowl combine the egg whites and the milk.  In a third bowl combine the flour and the rest of the salt and pepper.  Might want to make these three bowls shallow. 

Take each piece of chicken and dip in the flour (shake off excess), the egg, and the bread crumbs (shake off excess) in that order. 

Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  Place chicken in the dish and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until brown and done. 

Add the sauce and the cheeses evenly over the chicken.  REturn to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes. 

Serving size 1/5 of recipe
Points Plus 10


No comments:

Post a Comment