1/9/11

Chowdy (Jamaican Seafood Chowder)

Chowdy! 

You know.....like howdy.  But we're cooking chowder so today it's chowdy.  I really do crack myself up.

This is a recipe that I saw on the super cute blog Must Be the Waters.  Not only is the blog super cute, but Maggie wore a super cute dress to the New Years Eve wedding that I just can't get over.  Cuteness abounds. 

This is one of this recipes that I just couldn't get out of my head.  I was so curious.  Could this work?  Could this work with the changes it would need to be a little more point friendly?  I was on a mission. 

I should also be on a mission to stop chipping my dishes.  
 

The end result was quite impressive.  Good flavor, lots of spice, the perfect amount of chowdery comfort for this chilly chilly weekend.  Did I mention it was easy?  Because it's easy as pie.  It's also got some heat to it....so be warned.  It kind of made my nose run. 

I do wish that I would have had access to fresh seafood.  However, the canned shrimp didn't kill me, and the crab I found at my store claimed to be real and natural.  Heck, it was expensive enough.  

Jamaican Seafood Chowder

1 small package of Red Beans and Rice (I used this one)
2 cups of fat free sour cream
3 cups of fat free milk
8 oz shrimp (I used canned)
8 oz crab meat
2 tbl jerk seasoning
10 slices of reduced fat pepper jack cheese, Sargento brand, chopped up
15 oz can of corn, drained
small can of green chilies, drained
1 tbl lime juice

In a large pot, prepare the red beans and rice according to package directions, omitting butter/oil.  Add sour cream, milk, cheese.  Heat, stirring until cheese melts.  Do not bring to a boil. 

Add corn, chilies, lime juice, stir until combined. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 11 servings)
Points Plus 5

P.S. - We haven't been hit by the crazy-town winter weather yet....it's coming though.  It's coming.    

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Laura Merril! Happy 2011!!! I wanted to see if you were up for making another dress? I need to send a baby gift to a close friend of mine who is expecting a little girl at the end of this month. I am not sure what your work load is right now, so if you are too busy, I would totally understand! I know she would LOVE any of your creations...so, as with the others, I will let you choose the fabric & run wild! I am out of work right now, so I don't have your email address at home. Little Hazel is finally here & she is just perfect! You can email me back @ lindseyb5050@yahoo.com. Hope you are doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete