1/21/11

Cooking Lessons (Sweet Chili Rubbed Pork Tenderloin)

I'm a soup and casserole girl for a reason.  Reason is:  it doesn't take a whole lot of skills to make them. Not that I don't have some cooking skills.  I do.  In some situations you might even say that I have mad skills. But only in some situations. 

Situations in which I don't have mad skills: grilling, cooking chicken, cooking pork tenderloin, making corn bread, making a meal with several sides and having everything get ready at the same time.  Just to name a few. 

So what does one do when their sweet boyfriend's FAVORITE meal in the world is a pork tenderloin?  You practice.  Well first you make him buy you a meat thermometer and then you practice.

So that's what I've been doing.  Practicing making pork tenderloin.  There's been a lot of anxiety and a little bit of overcooking but I'd say it's going well. 


Look at that happy guy.  Cute, too. 

This weeks pork tenderloin adventure was taken for this month's Real Simple magazine.  It was way easy and quite tasty.  This time when cooking, I used the broiler on my oven. I started out with the rack way to close to the top,which almost caused the tenderloin to go up in flames.  The fire risk appeared to drop when I lowered the rack.  Thank goodness. 

So it might have been a little bit on the "done" side but the flavor was good and the ease of the dish made everything worth it.  Not mad skills yet but getting closer every day....

Sweet Chili Rubbed Pork Tenderloin

1 1/2 lb lean pork tenderloin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbl maple syrup

Preheat oven to broil.

Combine salt, pepper, and chili powder.  Rub all over pork. Cook, turning several times and basting with the maple syrup twice.  Cook until internal temperature reaches 155.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before slicing.  

Slice into 12 equal slices

Serving size 3 slices (or 1/4 of tenderloin)
Points plus 5  

No comments:

Post a Comment