1/5/11

Naked on Howard Street - My WW Journey

Get comfortable, kick up your feet, I've got a story to tell you. 

A story about how I went from this.....


To this! 

Wait never mind, there's no picture.  I tried to get a good "now" picture but I couldn't find one that wasn't fuzzy or didn't feature me looking like a lunatic.  I like a picture, and there are some recent ones scattered throughout this blog, if you're interested.  

For several months, my friend Lindsey tried to get me to do a "before" and "after" picture on this blog to show my weight loss and encourage others to make changes. 

At the time, I would have rather stood naked on Howard Street. 

In fact, I would kind of still rather stand naked on Howard Street.  However, in this the first week of 2011, I have started to change my mind about it.  I've been thinking about my weight loss journey over the past few years, and about the many others who may be starting that very same journey now.  What helped me the most?  I believe that it was a combination of: encouragement, accountability, humor, compliments, bribes, reading about / hearing others successes, and taking things one day at a time. 

I would like to use this time to tell you about my story...hopefully it will encourage you and make you laugh.  As far as bribes go - try to convince someone close to you to buy you a new wardrobe when you reach your goal.  I can't, or I would. 

And you sure look pretty today!  (That's my compliment, in case you're not good at recognizing them.)

So.  Pretty much my whole life I've been a little overweight.  Never anything major.  I was active in high school and was able to keep my weight down but heck, I still lied on my drivers' license.  Freshman year of collage brought free meals at the KD house; Leah and I sure did take advantage of the banana pudding and to go boxes.  We also watched Passions so we were actually making several mistakes.  College moved on with fast food meals, beer, and to many coke heavys.  After collage I would loose weight but always seemed to gain it back. 

Fast forward to my big move to Greenwood.  Soon after moving to town, I met and started dating Brandon.  We both settled into that I'm-happy-in-my-new-relationship / don't-change-a-bit-about-yourself rut.  Couple that with a growing interest in cooking and many dates out to one of Greenwood's many fine dining establishment, and I had myself one pretty big pickle on my hands.  Fall of 2008, I went to my yearly doctor visit.  In this visit, I described to the doctor my growing concerns about my weight.  I informed her that I was pretty positive I had a thyroid condition and should be checked out and immediately started on something to reverse this.  She humored me and gave me the test.  I went on about my way, excited that this pesky weight issue would soon be resolved. 

A few weeks later, I received what I thought would be a prescription to a weight loss miracle, but instead was a letter stating that good news...your thyroid is fine.  But you should look into a healthier lifestyle IF you want to get that weight off.  Thanks, doc. 

Dang it. 

I did what any person would do, ignored the letter and went on about my way. 

We now find ourselves sometime in the middle of the night, January 1st (or 2nd, I forget the exact time) of 2009.  I had gotten up to use the restroom and was on my way back to bed when I clicked a lamp off, as I am green like that.  This action was immediately followed by my tripping over a rogue sneaker that sent me flying over an ottoman, onto the rock hard floor.  I spent the next little bit sobbing, convincing myself that my knee was, in fact, broken. 

I wake up the next morning, hobble to work (there was no substitute for me or else I totally would have called in), and attempt to do therapy.  After my work was done, I called my dad to inform him that my knee was broken and inquire what action I should take.  He reassured me that my knee was probably not broken but I should maybe stop by the ER to get it checked out.  So that's what I did. 

If anyone has been to any type of ER visit / MD appointment at any time of their lives....you know you can't get very far without first being weighed.  The holiday season had just wrapped up and I knew this was not going to be pretty.  The number that flashed up on the scale shook me to my core. 

Onehundredandninetyonepounds. 

Are you freaking kidding me?  I'm 5'3!  Now I'm not only in horrible pain but I'm now fully aware of the fact that I'm waaaaaaaaay overweight.  Like the nurse probably wrote "obese" on my chart.  I've worked in hospitals, I know that game.  

Long story short (not really), my knee was twisted and bruised and I was sent home with a stabilizer and some crutches.  And extremely wounded pride.  

I spent that weekend eating M and Ms, reading Twilight, and doing some serious soul searching about the turn my physical self had taken.  I had been mulling around the idea of starting WW for the last little bit; this weekend made me know that it was something that had to be done. 

I enrolled in Weight Watchers online that Monday...January 5, 2009.  Two years ago today!  

I find myself now, 55(ish) pounds lighter.  I did it!  I reached my goal.  It was a long road, full of ups and downs and twists and turns but over all a great life learning experience.  While the physical transformation has been wonderful, I have been even more shocked by the emotional changes.  It was very strengthening, but I was also reminded that I have to take responsibility for the choices that I make, and if I want things to change I have to take action.  The biggest lesson, and we are about to get a little after school special here, is that confidence comes from within; it really has nothing to do with what you look like. For me, confidence came from reaching goals and knowing that I was able to do something that was difficult.  One of the strangest things about loosing weight, for me at least, was that it took me a really long time to see myself differently and confront insecurities that had always been there.  I would be given compliments, and while I was appreciative, I would often think that the person was just being overly nice and didn't really mean it.  Accomplishing a goal, any goal, can help one to reexamine these beliefs and start to think more realistically.  And feel more confident. 

If you find yourself in a similar situation, whether you have 15 pounds to loose or 200, here are some tips that might be helpful.  

1.  Take it one day at a time.  I know I mentioned this earlier, but it's so important.  It's very easy to get overwhelmed when you are making big life changes.  Don't worry about the weekend, don't worry about that upcoming party, Lord don't worry about Christmas.  Just stay in today. 

2.  Get support.  People to vent too, people to teach you, people to share successes with.  My support has been extremely helpful to me and I probably wouldn't have been as successful without it.  

3.  Prepare for setbacks.  No one is perfect...don't beat yourself up when you mess up.  

4.  Exercise.  It makes me feel better; I always forget that.  

5.  Reward yourself.  I didn't do this, but wish I would have!  Set small goals - like five pounds or ten pounds - and reward yourself with something special when you reach your goal.  Like a manicure.  But not cheddar peppers....that would defeat the purpose.  

6.  Do it for yourself.  Don't do it because you think someone will like you more, or you'll be cooler, if you loose weight.  Do it because it's something that you honestly want to do.  

7.  Look at it as a lifestyle change.  A healthy lifestyle change.  Make the decision to live this way forever...not just until you get back into your pants.  

8.  Ask for help if you need it. 

9.  Weigh regularly.  Even if you know that you've gained weight.  In fact, over the holidays?  I think i gained a little bit of weight each week.  But you suck it up and keep going back.  Don't give up.

10.  Be proud of yourself.  Always.  Because you are awesome.  No matter what. 

I am by no means a weight loss expert.  And I probably eat french fries more than I should.  And sometimes I treat myself to a coke heavy on Fridays.  But I learned that if you try something, and keep trying something, then you can have success.  Kind of like the people in AA say - it works if you work it. 

Keep workin' it. 

Thank you for reading this blog.  It has been a wonderful way to keep me motivated and accountable.  It also keeps me entertained.  Seriously, thanks.

And just in case you were wondering?  My knee is fine, aside from the occasional cold weather / rains' a-comin' ache.   

15 comments:

  1. Love this post. I lost 15ish in Weight Watchers earlier this year and bought my first single-digit size pair of jeans. It was awesome.

    Now I'm pregnant and off the wagon....20 (25 with flex) points a day wasn't going to cut it.

    But...I have still kept up with my points, even though they're scary sometimes, just so I don't get totally out of control. Because after the little one arrives, I'll be back on the program. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Anisa! And congrats on the little bundle....what an awesome reason to be off the wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and ispiring post! I am so proud of you! Love you so much...Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud Minya! Your "after" picture should be one of the ones from the dance party I wasn't invited to. Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post just made my day! i have been a little down this week about the weight i gained during the holidays, but now am inspired to get it back off. thanks for sharing LMA! so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOO HOO!! So glad you did it! This post was beautifully written (despite the many spelling errors...sorry....I couldn't help myself!), and I know it will inspire everyone who reads it. Love you and am so very proud of you! And I agree with Chickey...because you look HOT in those pics...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite post thus far! Very uplifting and encouraging this time of year when everyone is trying to refocus their efforts and get back on track from the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I texted you this morning, but I wanted to make it official on your blog. You are amazing. And beautiful. I am very proud of you (of your conquest and your writing!). You are a ROCKSTAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ghi, i just want you to know that you rock. i am so proud of you for being so strong and coming so far!! but what's up with not having an after pic??? this sorta contradicts #10 about being proud of yourself. you look AMAZING AND WE WANT TO SEE PICS!!!!! (of your new do too!) love you ghi!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story! Thanks for taking the time to write {type} it. I love all your tips because they are realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't know me, and it's going to sound creepy, but I found your blog through blog-stalking (some other MSU people) and when I saw that you were on WW, I was hooked! I started in September, and it's always helpful for me to read your posts. Thanks so much for posting your story- it's helping me more than you can know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing this lma, but it's a shame you didn't post an after pic! i know it's probably not even about the picture at this point, but you do look hot! be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy for you, I've seen other pics and you look amazing. Thanks for sharing the story!

    ReplyDelete