1/27/11

Pesto Minestrone Soup

For starters, I have a band aid on my left ring finger that is making it a little tough to type. I'm going to make this quick. 

Or not.  We'll just play it by ear. 

Everyone knows about the huge love I have for my crock pot; this love grew even stronger yesterday with the addition of Pesto Minestrone Soup to the cooking rotation.  

I love pesto, FYI.  Love it.  


Another FYI, this soup is even good if you accidentally space and leave out two pretty important ingredients.  In fact, I didn't even know that I had left them out until I opened my fridge this morning (to get my coffee creamer) and spotted the spinach.  Oh well, life goes on. 

Pesto Minestrone Soup
adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

1 large onion, chopped
1 cup of carrots, chopped
1 cup of celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 new potatoes, chopped (no need to peel)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of black beans
1 cup of pesto
4 cups fat free chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas (which I forgot)
1 cup spinach (which I forgot)

Place all ingredients except the peas and spinach in the crock pot.  Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.  

About 15 minutes before eating, stir in peas and spinach.  Cook until peas are done and spinach is wilted. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 13 cups)
Points Plus 5

Sorry I completely forgot to put the points in first time I posted!

1 comment: