1/24/11

Quick Fast and In A Hurry (15ish Minute Vegetarian Chili)

Chili purist everywhere just died a little. 

15 minute chili probably shouldn't exist.  Isn't the whole point of chili to let it simmer all day, filling your house with yummy goodness?  I don't know, that's not my call. 

15 minute chili existed in my house last night.  Not because I only had 15 minutes (it was Sunday, all I HAD to do was drive back from Oxford) but because I just wanted to try it.  And because I had most of the ingredients.  

Is this chili going to be entered in my church's chili cook off competition next year?  No, it's not.  Is it the most amazing thing you've ever put in your mouth?  Nope.  But is it a good, solid recipe?  Yes.  Is it quick to put together? Yes.  Warm and comforting?  Yes and yes.  

Score one for the busy people out there....


15ish Minute Vegetarian Chili
adapted from WW Online

1 tsp canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
15 oz tomato sauce
14 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
1 tbl chili powder (less if your scared)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper

Heat oil in a large pot.  Add onions and cook until soft.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, cooking frequently.  

Add the rest of the ingredients.  Increase heat to high, bring soup to a boil.  Stir frequently for about five minutes until sauce is thickened and flavors have melded together.  

Serving size 1 1/4 cup (makes four servings)
Points Plus 8

Serve with whatever you like; I did about a tablespoon of WW Mexican cheese.  I bet it would also rock with some sour cream and maybe a few green onions.  But that would have required me going BACK to the grocery store and I'm not into that.  

Don't forget to comment on yesterday's post for a chance to win the tote bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment