2/22/11

Eat It On the Run (Apricot Breakfast Bars)

Happy Tuesday!  How are you today?  Me, I'm good.  I did put on self tanner this morning and purple eye shadow so I might be having some sort of identity crisis.  We'll see. 

Today I've got a breakfast / snack idea to share with you.  This is a recipe that I found on the WW website and it turned out quite lovely.  The only draw back is that after having it for breakfast I was hungry about an hour later.  For me, it was not a filling enough breakfast to have again.  However, it tasted great, felt very healthy, and would be perfect for your kids school lunch.  It also looks cute paired with a banana.


Apricot Breakfast Bar
adapted from WW Online

1 cup whole grain wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 uncooked quick oats
15 dried apricot halves, diced
2 tbl sunflower seeds
1 tbl butter
1/2 cup fat free egg substitute

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, coat an 8 x 8 inch square pan with cooking spray. 

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, apricots, sunflower seeds.

Melt the butter, combine it with egg substitute. 

Quickly combine the wet and dry ingredients. 

Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish, smoothing it out and making it even.  This was quite difficult and required a large amount of tongue biting but I eventually made it work. 

Bake for about 20 minutes.  Allow to cool completely before cutting.  Cut into 8 equal pieces. 

Serving size 1 bar
Points plus 5

2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe.. This month, I've been into granola bars. Definately going to have to try this recipe! But i do count my calories so I get enough for Kittrell, any idea how much these are? If not I can figure it up.. no biggie

    ReplyDelete