2/17/11

Flashback Birthday Pictures and Cheesy Eggplant Bake

Today is a good day.  Why you ask?  Because it's Win's birthday!  I wish I could be with her to celebrate her special day.  However, she might drive from New Orleans and kill me for posting this picture.  At least then we'd get to hang out.  Hopefully she wont kill me.  Hopefully she'll think its just as awesome as I do!


Me and Win at my Roller World birthday party, circa 1986? 1987?  Mom?

What about all the bows in that picture?  My white bow probably fell out of my head 17 times during the birthday party, especially when I would find myself furiously skating away from Darth Vador (I've always been a little on the skiddish side.)  Win choose to dress appropriately for roller skating and hot summer weather in a simple yet edgy PacSun sleeveless top.  Or was that a tank?  The pink bows, I would imagine, were all Mrs. Ellen's idea. 

Happy Birthday to you Win! I am so very grateful for the friendship that we've had for all of these years!!! 

And now, onto today's recipe.  It's on a took from Cheap Healthy Good and it was definitely cheap, healthy, and good.  I did, however, make the mistake of not starting this dish until 8 o'clock.  It turned out to be slightly more labor intensive than I had imagined and I did not eat until 945.  I almost passed out from hunger.  Another thing?  It's kind of hard to peel an eggplant so just be aware. 

Cheesy Eggplant Bake
adapted from Cheap Healthy Good  

1 medium eggplant, peeled
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1 tbl garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 tbl olive oil, divided
1 green bell pepper
1 medium onion
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
6 oz part skim shredded mozzarella cheese

Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices.  Place the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with salt.  Let it hang out, undisturbed, for about 30 minutes.  I took this time to load and unload my dishwasher, but you could use it for whatever.

Meanwhile, chop up bell pepper, onions, mushrooms.  Set aside. 

In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, garlic salt, and pepper.  In another shallow dish, whisk together eggs and egg whites.

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.

Once the egg plant is done sitting, rinse it off with cold water and dry it with some paper towels.  

Take the egg plant, dip it in egg, then breadcrumbs, then put it into a large skillet that has been oiled with 1/2 tbl of olive oil.  Cook all of the eggplant in batches, about two minutes on each side, or until it is browned.  Place cooked eggplant into a baking dish. 

Wipe the pan out, spray with cooking spray.  Add chopped vegetables, cook for about five minutes.  Pour vegetables atop egg plant.  Pour stewed tomatoes atop vegetables.  Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.  

Remove from oven, remove foil, cover with cheese, bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly brown.  

Divide into six equal pieces.  

Serving size 1 piece
Points plus 8  

3 comments:

  1. Your old picture posts are my all time favorites. As soon as I scrolled down and saw the paneling, I knew it was a Roller World b'day party!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are two super cute ghis! And the Roller World Darth Vader still makes appearances in my nightmares on occassion....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of you and little Winnie. I want to frame it and put in on my dresser....so cute.

    Happy B-day Win!

    Eggplant recipe looks delightful. I love eggplant.

    ReplyDelete