2/1/11

Pork Lo Mein

Sometimes, you just need a little pork lo mein.  Really, you do.  And sometimes, you don't even know you need it because you've never really had it it before.  But then you try it and you learn that you can't live without it. 

This is what happened to me on Monday night. 

I did not have the most adventurous childhood, culinarily speaking.  We were a casserole family, rotating between poppy seed chicken and Frank Anne Stein's chicken.  I think that's what it was called....it was a chicken mixture that you ate over cornbread.  Pegs LOVED to make it.  We had it a lot.  It became a joke.  Still is a joke. 

Love you, mom. 

My lack of culinary adventure as a child led me to have a fear mixed with fascination when it came to Chinese food.  My first time at a Chinese restaurant was filled with panic, as I had NO CLUE what to order.  I soon discovered sweet and sour chicken and have been hooked since then.  I even crave it when I'm sick.  Isn't that strange?  If I'm running fever you better call Mai Little China. 

Back to the topic at hand...pork lo mein.  This dish was tasty as they come and pretty simple to make.  You should try it.  Want the recipe?  Here you go....

There's pork in there, I swear.  You just can't see it. 

Pork Lo Mein

8 oz lean pork tenderloin, teriyaki flavored (could be regular, i just used the flavored as it's all I could find)
3 tbl reduced sodium soy sauce, divided
1 tbl garlic
2 tbl fresh ginger root, chopped
8 oz uncooked whole wheat linguine
1 carrot, peeled and thinly chopped
1 tsp canola oil
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup green onions, chopped

Slice pork in 1/4 inch thick strips.  Toss pork with 2 tbl of soy sauce, garlic and ginger; let it hang out for about 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.  Add carrots to pasta at five minutes left on the cook time.  Drain, set aside. 

Heat canola oil in a large pan over medium high heat.  Add pork and mushrooms; move heat to high.  Stir fry until pork is done and mushrooms turn brown (about 6 minutes). 

Add lingini, carrots, broth, 1 tbl of soy sauce and sesame oil to skillet.  Reduce heat.  Toss to combine.  Remove from heat and add green onions. 

Serve immediately. 

Serving size 1/4 of recipe
Points Plus 8

No comments:

Post a Comment