2/23/11

Quick Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

I accidentally deleted the picture I took of this meal.  I guess it's OK though as it has the kind of beauty that moves and didn't photograph well.  Can anyone name that tune? Lauren, I bet that you can.  So instead of a picture of the quick sausage and chicken gumbo, I'll share a picture of me and Lindsey and Kallie.  Today is Kallie's birthday....send her some happy birthday thoughts and love! 


With Mardi Gras right around the corner (or maybe it's already happened...I can't for the life of me understand Mardi Gras) this is a perfect way to feel like you are up in the action.  Or maybe you don't want to be up in the action and you just like gumbo.  Either way, this one is for you. 

Quick Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
adapted from WW Online

cooking spray
2 boneless skinless chicken breast, uncooked, cut into 1 inch pieces
7 oz of smoked turkey sausage, sliced into 1 inch pieces (I use the Butterball smoked turkey dinner sausage...half of the package is 7 oz.)
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
10 oz frozen gumbo style vegetables
1 tbl all purpose flour
1 cup canned chicken broth
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Toss chicken and sausage with Cajun seasoning.  Heat a pot that's been coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.  Add chicken and sausage, brown, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. 

Stir in frozen vegetables and garlic.  Saute until vegetables are thawed, about five minutes. 

Sprinkle mixture with flour, cook for about 1 minute.  Stir in chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits that are in the bottom of the pot. 

Stir in crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper; simmer for five minutes.  Remove bay leaf before serving.

Serving size 1 1/4 cup (makes about 4)
Points Plus 7

1 comment:

  1. I love this jolly picture. I also love the fact that, shortly after taking said picture, we walked off leaving my car unlocked, in the french quarter. Genious....

    ReplyDelete