2/15/11

Sausage and Peppers and Flowers

For starters, here's your pretty for today. 

yayyyyyyyy!

I, personally, am not a huge valentines person OR flowers person.  However, nothing like coming home from work to find a big vase of beauty sitting on the oven.  And chocolates.  Did I mention there were chocolates? 

I need an entire box of Russel Stovers raspberry cream chocolates.  Stat.  There was only one of those.  And I threatened Brandon within an inch of his life if he ate it.  

Moving on.  

Now that you've had your pretty for today, here's something yummy.  This is a recipe that was adapted from one of my favorites, Deep South Dish.  Same heavenly blog that gave us Charleston Cheese Dip.  Be still my heart.  

This one is quick and easy and was a snap to lighten up. I do believe, however, that next time I will used smoked turkey sausage and season it up rather than the uncooked Italian sausage that I used this time.  Why?  Because those suckers are hard to cut.  I'm sure this will affect the points plus value, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  

Italian Sausage Onions and Peppers
adapted from Deep South Dish 

1 tsp canola oil
20 oz Italian turkey sausage, sliced (just do your best)
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
2 green bell peppers, seeded cored and sliced
1 1/2 cup light marinara sauce

Heat canola oil in a large pan over medium high heat.  Add the sausage and the garlic, cook until sausage is browned.  Add the onions, cook until they are softened. 

Add sauce, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for about 30 minutes.  Uncover, add the peppers, cook for an additional 10 minutes. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 6)
Points plus 7

I bet this would totally rock with crusty french bread.  I mean, heck...I'm surprised I didn't just have a loaf with my serving.  I've eaten everything else in sight lately.  Anyone else having one of those weeks? 

Keep it real.   

No comments:

Post a Comment