3/28/11

Adventures with Tzatziki Sauce

I've been on huge Greek food kick lately.  Well let me restate that.  I've been on a huge wanting to eat Greek food all the time kick lately.  Being that Greenwood isn't exactly overflowing with Mediterranean options, I've spent a lot of time dreaming about it and planning out my next trip to Jackson around getting my fix. 

This cuisine is one I never thought I'd try out at home.  I had it on the same level with cooking a whole turkey...it's something that should be left for the experts.  However, on Sunday I released these fears and decided to dive into the unknown abyss and give tzatziki sauce the old collage try.  

The first challenge in this was trying to figure out how to spell tzatziki.  It's a really hard word to spell.  After I conquered the spelling it was time to figure out how to drain the yogurt without a cheese cloth and a sieve.  I opted for a coffee filter and a collapsible colander which I don't really think had the same effect.  Live moves on.  

The rest of the recipe went off without a hitch.  Doesn't have the exact same taste as the tzatziki sauce you might find at Kiefer's but quite good.  And since I didn't think it would photograph well on it's on, let's just take a look at this picture and think about how awesome it would be to be kickin' it there this week....

     find it here

Skinny Tzatziki Sauce
adapted from Slender Kitchen

16 oz fat free Greek yogurt, drained
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tbl dill, chopped
juice of one lemon
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped small
salt and pepper, to taste 

Drain the yogurt.  Information on how to do this could be found here.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the yogurt, combine.  Let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.  

Serving size 1/3 cup (makes about 6)
Points plus 1

Stay tuned to see what scrumptious dishes this sauce makes it's way to this week.  I know, I've got you on the edge of your seat.

P.S.  I choose Essie's "Trophy Wife" as the nail color for the ball.  I felt a little loud, but I think it was worth it.  Thanks for your suggestions!  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment