3/31/11

In the Weeds (Spicy Bean Burrito Filling)

I often wonder how people take such pretty pictures of their food / kitchen while they are cooking.  I, personally, just try my best to not die while trying to get dinner fixed. 

That might be a little dramatic. 

But it does get a little hairy from time to time.  I often feel rushed and slightly crazy and usually leave at least one major ingredient out. 

One of my favorite things to holler to Brandon while I'm cooking is "BRANDON!  I'M IN THE WEEDS!!"  Apparently this is something that people say in restaurant kitchens.  Brandon, having worked in restaurants most of his life, often tells me that I am, in fact, not in the weeds. 

Sure did look like that Wednesday night.  Here's a picture of when it was really going down. 


For those of you looking for something to do, play a little "I spy" with this picture.  Try to find the candy jar, the splenda bowl, the KD (abstract) flower picture, the peach daiquiri, the tongs, and the small cup like thing that allows you to pour the water into the iron....

A perfect mix of chaos, wood paneling, and cumin...the kitchen was really the place to be last night.

What was causing all of this mess?  Well, just a little spicy bean burrito filling.  Was it good?  I think so.  And the boyfriend exclaimed that it was good enough to be served in the lot at a Panic show.  Heck yeah.  

Spicy Bean Burrito Filling
adapted from Annie's Eats 

2 tsp canola oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp chipotle in adobe sauce, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
1/3 cup of water
1 (15 oz can) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz can) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 tbl salsa

Heat oil in a large skillet, add chipotle peppers, cumin, chili powder, pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper.  Saute for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. 

Add both cans of beans and the water, bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in salsa.

Divide into six equal servings.

Serving size 1/6 of beans
Points plus 3

Serve however you like.....I had mine in a whole wheat tortilla (3 pp), 1 tbl reduced fat cheese (1 pp), 1 tbl reduced fat sour cream (1 pp), and tomatoes.  It would also be great with some lettuce and green onions but I didn't have that. 

Happy Thursday! 
  

2 comments:

  1. I'm cracking up about the 'in the weeds' thing. I often feel that way. Flustered, rushed, things burning. I only document my meals that go well. Most of my pictures are of leftovers the next day.

    I spy the peach daiquiri...it took me forever to find.

    This recipe looks awesome. Love me a bean.

    ReplyDelete