4/7/11

Brittney and Baked Ziti

For starters, I burned a copy of the new Brittney Spears album when I got to work this morning.  Deduct cool points if you wish, I'm kind of excited. 

For second, baked ziti is awesome.  I found a recipe here that I ended up playing around with and I must say that there was some raise the roof success.  I bet it would be even better with fresh herbs but I don't have any of those yet.  Soon.  But not yet.  And I'm thinking of planting the herbs in my fire pit.  Would that be weird?  Probably. 


Baked Ziti
adapted from LaaLoosh

12 oz whole wheat penne pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1 whole onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 lb extra lean ground beef (94/6)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
4 oz canned mushrooms (sliced)
28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  Boil pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

In a large pan, heat olive oil.  Add garlic and onions, cook until soft.  Add ground beef, season with salt and pepper.  cook until beef is cooked through.  Add basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add mushrooms and tomatoes, bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for about five minutes.

In a large baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, layer half of meat mixture, half of noodles, and half of cheese.  Repeat.  Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until cheese is done and it's all nice and bubbly.  Divide into six (or eight) equal servings. 

Serving size 1 piece
Points plus 10 (if six servings) or 7 (if eight servings)

1 comment: