4/26/11

To Corn Tortilla or Not To Corn Tortilla (Cheesy Enchilada Bake)

During Easter family egg-stravaganza time, my cousin Warren and I engaged in a brief discussion about corn tortillas.  My opinion:  they're great; his opinion: no thanks. 

I feel like lots of people share Warren's hesitancy towards the corn tortilla.  Yes they can be a little bland and tend to tear easily but for 2 for 2 points plus?  I'll deal with a little tearing. 

Warren, if you're out there, you should try this meal.  It might make you change your mind about a few things. It uses corn tortillas and ground beef and is all kinds of melty, amazing goodness. 

By melty, amazing goodness I don't mean healthy.  Not at all.  Aside from the calcium in the cheese, this meal probably has no real nutritional value.  But sometimes, that's just how I roll.  I did bring a salad to eat with it for lunch today, so at least i'll get something green. 


Cheesy Enchilada Bake
adapted from Danica's Daily

1 lb ground beef (I used 93/7 as that's all my store had.  However, turkey would be great and would maybe even bring the points down some)
1/2 onion, chopped
8 corn tortillas, cut up into squares
19 oz enchilada sauce
7 oz 2% shredded cheddar cheese 

Spray a large pot with cooking spray.  Add onions and ground beef, cook until done.  Add the tortillas, half of the cheese, and the enchilada sauce.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about five minutes.  Add the remaining cheese, cover pot and remove from heat.  Allow to sit for a few minutes while the cheese melts

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 6 servings)
Points plus 7

No comments:

Post a Comment